Bike Repairs

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by shadowwebs, Jul 12, 2012.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Anyone here any good at bicycle repairs?

Just need a few tips that I don't seem to be able to find on the internet for how to fix my brakes on my bike, got disc brakes which I feel are in the right location but when I pull at the handle I have to pull them all the way for any action to be taken.

Yes I will be upgrading to a car soon, but it's nice cycling from home to work

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. Haze

Haze Nibble Poster

disc brakes are a horror to work with if you don't know what you're doing, the pads might need changing, they might have oil on them which completely wrecks them (very common) or they might just need adjustment. best off taking it to a shop, many an amateur cyclist has been stumped by disc brakes...

Certifications: MCSA (Windows 7), MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician (Windows 7), MCTS: Windows 7 & Office 2010 Deployment, Level 3 Diploma in ICT Professional Competence, Level 3 Certificate in ICT Systems and Principles, Advanced Level Apprenticeship for IT Professionals
    WIP: MCSA: Server 2012
  3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Nah, how long have you had the pads in for, they wont wear very quickly so ill presume they have been in for the life of the bike. You should be able to adjust them with no major hassle or replace them entirely. Look down the side and see if they have much left on them. Are these normal cable type or hydraulic

Taking them to a shop is only if your really not sure, i myself would save the money and fit them myself

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  4. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

normal cabled ones, I had the back disc brake changed recently and the brake cables changed for both the front and back also, yet somehow they didnt bother to actually get them to the correct tightness to make it road safe, very lazy staff is all I can think it must be.

I had a play with it yesterday, tightning the cable at the brake lever and then moving where the disc brake positioning is and seems to have made a difference for the front back but not the back brake... this was all done when it was raining and this morning on the way to work its been very wet so i won't really see much difference until it's dry. the back brake is still as bad as it was, so will try and take another look over the weekend.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)