Big Hi

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Mrth, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Mrth

Mrth New Member

Hi everybody!

I'm form the UK currently self studying CompTIA A+, I'm doing it alone more because of cost in the UK. There is no way I can afford to take time off work to go to classes also the causes are just too expencive.I'm not entitle to any grants or help form the government because I'm a 30 years old man and in full time employment. The education system in the Uk gears everything to kids and Uni students who waste it on getting pissed and going out at night. Getting qualifications they'll never use as most of the time they end up working at Starbucks because if they earn anymore that £12k a year they have to start paying all they're student loans off. This leaves the ones who actually want to learn something to better themselves to pay our own way!! Anyway enough politics this is a forum not question time :0) You can lean almost everything you need to know via the internet for free anyway! I've brought a self study guide off ebay to help too. I can also book the Exams off Parsons Vue so don't actually see the need to go on a cause. This way I have all the time in the world too!

If anybody has tried the self study approach as well please let me know how you got on. If you have any tips I would be grateful. I also would like Ideas on how to get work experience without leaving my current job. What did you do?

I'm really keen to make a success of this and value any input anybody has. If anybody in the future in a similar situation get to this by a Google search. I know I've done thousends;0) I would be great if this offers you some advice too.

All the best
    Tim

2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Hi and welcome

The best way to get experience is to do the job in real life.

Sometimes that may mean taking a paycut.

Maybe look at weekend volunteering but id imagine this is going to be tricky.

Also I can empaphise to a certain degree over the students philosophy you have, but to be honest id get over it as from what ive found in life that if you spend it focusing on the bad, then bad is where you end up.

Good luck and keep posting

Best wishes

Kev

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

The only way to get real-world IT experience is to get a real-world IT job. Building a home lab or working in a school lab builds knowledge... but it doesn't built experience. Getting certified is great... but it doesn't build experience. Going to a training class or to college is great... but it doesn't build experience. The only way to get the experience that employers desire is to work in the field.

As a result, 99.9% of people who get into IT start out with an entry-level job - by definition, a job that requires no experience to enter the field. You can also volunteer in your spare time to get experience, as Kev rightly suggested.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!