Big Blue says No to Microsoft

Discussion in 'News' started by UKDarkstar, Dec 18, 2008.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

IBM offers a 'Microsoft-free' desktop

IBM wants corporate customers to cut the cord with Microsoft.

The tech pioneer is launching a Linux-based collection of virtual-desktop applications that run on a server without the need for desktop hardware--or Microsoft software, according to a report on Wednesday evening by The Wall Street Journal. The Linux-based software package, which is available now, runs on a back-office server and is accessible to customers on thin clients, the paper reported.

Read the full story here

- UKDS

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      That's the real reason, make sure that they can still sell PC's :rolleyes:

:blink I'm lost for words...

-Ken
    2. Phoenix
      Phoenix
      Actually corporate customers are embracing the concept left right and center
      we called it VDI or Virtual Desktop Inititive (probably can be renamed to Infrastructure these days)

Basically someone coined the idea of putting XP guests on ESX instead of Server 2k3 boxes a few years back, a whole industry and product line has spawned from that idea

We are deploying a number of set ups like that to school districts across idaho at the moment, cuts down on maintenance too and upgrade cycles because thin clients get upgraded rather less than desktops, and a boost to one server effects ALL users on it (all VMs, or just makes more room for additional VMs at the same performance level)

I'd be happy to discuss the technology mroe with anyone who is interested, it's cool ****
    3. dales
      dales
      Certainly is, we are quite keen here to get rid of all our desktops and deploy thin clients instead, its been done at an arts center we have launched this year and is working really well.

Thin clients can just be binned when they fail (no more are users able to save stuff to their desktop no matter how many times we tell them not too), an entire organisation's desktop os can be upgraded/patched whatever in the short space of an evening (instead of sneakernet around the office and pxe booting every machine. tis gut yar!
    4. nugget
      nugget
      I'll definitely be taking you up on that mate.:biggrin
    5. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      Sorry mate, I didn't mean to imply that I was shocked at that, I meant to imply that I was shocked that the article thinks that.

-Ken
    6. Phoenix
      Phoenix
      Oh was not meant to counter you Ken
      was meant to counter the article, guess I quoted the wrong post ;)

I know you have a clue! just amazes me how many journos don't do their homework before writing up IBMs press release for them ;)