Beware of fake job postings

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Kitkatninja, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Beware of fake job postings

Poor economic times and high unemployment rates are enough to worry about, but the reality is there are people out there taking advantage of those seeking jobs. Here’s what to look for and how to protect yourself against job ad scams.

I never thought I would encounter a situation in which I would compare ordinary spammers favorably to someone else, but here goes. A piece I read in The Wall Street Journal today warns job hunters about employment ads that end up being nothing more than come-ons from career-marketing services that charge up to $10,000.

Basically, here’s what these scum factories do: They post an employment ad, you send in your resume, and they call you up to make an appointment for an interview. When you get there, they say, “Well, we’re actually a career service. We aren’t looking to fill that non-existent position we put in the paper, but we can train you to apply for ones like that.” Of course, you’re free to walk out at that point without giving them a red cent, and I beg you to do so, but even then you have wasted valuable time even meeting with them. You’ve also been unnecessarily encouraged by getting an “interview” and then let down hard.

Read the rest of the article here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Scum factories. I love it. Can we start referring to any of the TP's who do this (and we all know they do) as scum factories from now on?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

I'd struggle to control myself if i took the day off of work to go to an "interview" such as that.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  4. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

This is nothing new, that happened to me a few years ago went all the way to London for the interview as well!!

I told them where to go, the bloke was just like fine no worries people always say that.

Certifications: A few.
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Have to say I've not encountered any of that at all.

What I have found is some recruiters who spot a job on, say, Monster and then re-advertise the job themseleves even though they have had no contact with the end employer. Then if they have a strong candidate they contact the original recruiter to bargain for a commission split - seen a lot of that going on.

Hence I'm rather wary now when I see several different recruiters advertising the same job.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Thats not always a shady practice really. The place I used to work at was a recruitment agency with a Master Agency agreement with the client. What that meant was that all agency staff effectively came through us to the client.

However, we would farm the requirements out to certain sub-agencies, and each would attempt to get candidates for the position. If we filled it ourselves, we would get the whole commission on the rate, otherwise we would take a portion of it, and the rest would go down to the originating Agency.

This entire agreement was clear with all parties. The client was happy because they only had to deal with a single Agency for staff, but didnt have to sacrifice on a possible candidate pool. Also, they were happy because we dealt with all the ****e from the sub-Agencies. Not to mention that all CV's were formatted in a set way and so were fairly consistent, and all available from a single location.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Meh. This has been happening for as long as I've been in IT. More people are just now noticing it, I guess, because they're having to work harder to look for a legit job in this economic climate. I get about forty emails a week from recruiters exhorting me to apply for a specific role - I reckon less than half of them are genuine positions. The most obvious ones are from new recruiters you've never heard of before advertising completely non-specific 'roles' like this one - from just yesterday in fact:

I have a number of clients looking to fill senior technical architect roles in central london. Specific skills my clients are looking for include vmware esex, sann technologies, active directory, exchange and oracle. If you would like to be considered for these roles, please send me an updated copy of your CV

Once I finished ROFLing about working with 'ESEX' and 'SANN's I quickly filed the mail in the folder marked "Recruitment - Chancers" :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - here's another one, just come in this morning:

Good evening *************,

Hope you had a relaxing Easter break!
    I am currently dealing with a number of London based organizations who are looking for Infrastructure Architects and I was wondering if you (or someone you know!) are looking for such an opportunity.
    The core skills that they all have in common are VMWare, Active Directory and Exchange.
    If you could reply answering the following questions I’d appreciate it:
    Permanent or Contract?
    Salary/Rate?
    Availability to start?
    If you are looking for a new Technical Architect position and do have extensive experience in such a role please send in a recent copy of your CV and I will get in touch asap!

My guess - she's just been promoted and doesn't understand her market at all (hence the fish for info on salary requirements). They make me sick to my stomach - I stick 'em on the same rung of society's ladder as Estate Agents and Lawyers

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Agreed. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have heard of this happening since I left uni.

As it happens I had a similar email to zebs on Tuesday I replied but sending them a picture of my two fingers :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I got one through the other day for a data - base admin job, nice! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs