Beware: Fake Cisco Routers

Discussion in 'News' started by tripwire45, May 18, 2008.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Beware: Fake Cisco Routers

An internal Federal Bureau of Investigation presentation states that counterfeit Cisco routers imported from China may cause unexpected failures in American networks. The equipment could also leave secure systems open to attack through hidden backdoors. The scope of the problem is broad and results from a complicated supply chain originating in Shen Zhen. From a narrow project failures perspective, network problems caused by this equipment should be treated as any other hardware malfunction. Of course, the entire concept of third parties using compromised hardware to infiltrate public and private systems in the United States is another matter entirely.

The full story can be found at the ZDNet.com blogs.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      Yep. I can vouch for this, at least as far as counterfeit WICs are concerned. I picked up several WIC-1DSU-T1 cards from a local reseller of Cisco gear who didn't know they had a bad batch. None of them would provide good clocking. I told the reseller, and they replaced them with legit gear.

So... if you think you're getting a good deal on eBay, if the price is too good to be true, it probably is. If a trusted local Cisco reseller can be fooled, so can anyone.

I know this... I won't ever purchase production gear from a reseller of used equipment anymore.