Beta Testing for CompTIA Linux+ 2009 Underway – Take the Exam for Free

Discussion in 'Linux+' started by Kitkatninja, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Not taken any exams for a while, hopefully I will get to see the new improved certs in the near future. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Not anymore, unless you've got some shiny gold stickers of your own. Microsoft no longer sends out Welcome Kits; you must now print your own certificates! :dry

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

When did this kick in?

I'm assuming it's not generic (as I recently ordered my MCDST welcome kit and had a confirmation email today that it was dispatched)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

I recently ordered my MCSA welcome pack and it has apparently been dispatched. I have printed the rather crummy looking downloaded certificates too.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  5. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

My MCP certificate should be here in the next few days.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Are you sure? MS gives you the opportunity to print out the new MCTS/MCITP certs, however I've got Vista/Windows 2008 certs that were sent out :hhhmmm

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. BosonMichael

Positive. From here:

I have confirmed that I am not able to order welcome kits on the MCP member site for the new Microsoft certifications I've recently achieved. Or, if the option is there, I can't find it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. Kitkatninja

Or in other words: "We keep the exam price the same, but we'll save a few quid on postage" :rolleyes:

Funny that it's due to "customer preferences", I don't remember being asked that question or asked to participate in a survey with that question in it.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Yeah I must have been on holiday when they surveyed me. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. BosonMichael

Yeah, I think I missed the one way-back-when that asked whether we liked the free year's subscription to TechNet.

I guess this means no wallet cards anymore, right?

11. Kitkatninja

That's just sick :lol:

-ken

12. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Booked mine for the 10th of july, got some old linux books as well

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  13. Kitkatninja

Got Ubuntu installed on a eeePC, got the CBTNuggets somewhere for the old version + the internet. Got the Sharepoint exam first, but after that, I'll have about 3 weeks to study. Not fussed if I fail this exam :)

-Ken

14. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I'm aware of the downloadable certs. I received a nice MCTS cert this week (guess I must be one of the last ones to get one!), gold embossed. Not sure if they have indeed cancelled certificates and if so when did it kick in, because I've not noticed it. I think MCP is pretty much dead, MCTS does not give you MCP, hence no MCP and no MCP welcome kit ?

I think the certificates are important because sometimes people do want to see proof of professional development and often the certificates are a suitable way to do that. Not everyone in the world is likely to bother to view your MCP transcript, many procedures require faxed copies of documentation.

They seemed to give up on this a while ago, I've not had one for a year or so.

Damn ! Just checked, it does indeed look like welcome kits may have been pulled ! :blink

but it also says :-

"How to order your welcome kit, certificate, or transcript through July 1, 2009"

15. BosonMichael

No MCTS welcome kits as well... I never claimed two of them, and now, I can't.

I've not yet had an employer ask to see my actual certificates (though I do end up putting them on my walls). In truth, anyone can print something that looks authentic. The *only* way for an employer to be sure is to receive the candidates Transcript Sharing Code (which employers HAVE asked me for).

Weird, huh? Yeah, it's probably been in the last month or so that I've noticed this...

16. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Agreed, never shown my certs to anyone either. However whenever I offer to send my transcript nobodies ever interested in that either.

When I recently made a visa application I did send photocopies of my certs to prove professional development but its doubtful they would have made much difference to my application.

It would appear the deadline is July 1, 2009 so you may have a chance.

Well I would have liked my certs and would of only got them if I ordered them on the site, if only the companies that put truckloads of junkmail which i didn't ask for through my letterbox were so caring...

17. BosonMichael

If I can find it on the site, I just might! :) Thanks!

18. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Have you looked under "Program Benefits -> Download Certificates" ?

19. BosonMichael

I did, last week... and I could have sworn there was only an option to download. Now I see the option to order... excellent! It looks like I've got 6 of them waiting. Ordered!!! Thanks!

I think I've got one or two more I'll be achieving before July 1...

20. Kitkatninja

Does anyone know how different the LPIC-1 is to Linux+?

-Ken