Best web browser

Discussion in 'Software' started by Raffaz, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Just wondering what browser you people use, im just trying fire fox out now, ive tried explorer 7. Whats opera like? anyone using that. Also what are the plugins and stuff for firefox, and if ya use them do they slow down the system.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

Firefox. I don't use any plugins except one from imageshack...not really a plugin I guess, just enables a new option on the rightclick menu when I rightclick an image. So I can right-click an image on any website and from the popup menu I can choose to upload it to imageshack.
    I really can't live without it anymore. I tried.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I use Firefox as well. I have quite a few extensions loaded, and they don't seem to have slowed it down.

My favourite extensions are SwitchProxy and NoScript.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. GmanUK

GmanUK Byte Poster

LOL...only Microsoft plugins slow a system down!!! :biggrin

I have used both Firefox and Opera plus tested IE7 but its a bad Firefox rip off and still a beta!

I have settled on using Firefox, not just for security reasons (which can sometimes be just as open as IE you will be surprised to know) but for the great way you can make it your own. The extensions (Plugins) and themes are very easy to install and most are very good. You do have to understand though that the extensions & themes are mostly made by enthusiasts so tread carefully. They usually don't slow down your system (obviously might with a 286!!!) and most of the time are well coded. The extensions I get most out of are Download Status Bar, GooglePreview and Stealther.

Certifications: CompTIA N+, Server+, CCSN, ITILv3 (f)
    WIP: MCITP Security
  5. Raffaz

cheers for the replies, is there anywere to find out about all the addons and what they do? Also anyone tried opera?how is it? Cheers

6. GmanUK

GmanUK Byte Poster

Use the links in my last post for Firefox, or go straight to the most popular here

7. Raffaz

Cheers mate

8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I'm going to be a bit controversial here...

Currently I'm considering a switch back to IE from Firefox. Earth-shattering stuff, I know, but hear me out.

For the casual (non-technical) user I would never advocate anything other than Firefox. There's no doubting that Firefox is more secure by default than IE will ever be, and it's certainly no stretch to state that there are always going to be more risks involved in running IE7 - if only because it is so tightly integrated into the rest of Windoze, and because it will always be a target for the maliciously-minded anti-Redmond brigade.

However, for the 'techies', I can't see there's that much difference tbh. Yes there are some cool extensions for Firefox, but the only one I REALLY can't do without is McAfee's SiteAdvisor - which is available for both IE and Firefox.

What is pissing me off about FF the most is the fact that there is STILL a massive problem with the cut & paste functionality with the browser, which has NOT been fixed, despite seemingly every new release trumpeting that it HAS been fixed. This bug drives me insane - I've never been a fan of tabbed windows and often open separate instances of FF - but as soon as I do this, its a race against time before the copy & paste bug appears. This is an almighty ****-up on Firefox's part - and its so annoying that I am 50/50 about which browser I use at the moment

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  9. GmanUK

GmanUK Byte Poster

Well said zebulebu, however I have to say for all Firefoxes faults and annoyances, in my opinion IE has ten fold! At the moment I will be happy to stick, but as I said in my first post, Firefox can be just as insecure sometimes so I will keep an open mind. :blink

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Opera is my browser of choice now. I used to use FF but got fed up with it's memory leaks and slow start up times. Since I switched to Opera (when it became free), I have been a happy bunny 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

im not sure which upgrade it was but the memory leak is now fixed (well im mine its all good) and whats this bug with copy n paste???

anyhows, you might of guessed, im referring to FF, i currently have like 10 extensions installed and its still smooth, now and then, i go through the top extension list and look for some more...

...i am, without question about it, a fan of Firefox

:FFLove

12. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Sorry Cheeks - FF might have fixed 'a' memory leak - they certainly haven't fixed 'all' the memory leaks!. And the copy & paste bug has been present for years in FF - it seems to be pretty random, but most people have had 'success' reproducing it consistently by opening one FF instance, copying something (e.g. a URL) from it then opening another and pasting into that. It doesn't always happen, but usually does and, even more annoying, if you then type into anything (Google, a form etc etc) that requires an apostrophe, it opens the 'Find' dialog. You're then unable to type an apostropher until you completely close FF (and I mean from Explorer - closing it by shutting the browser window down doesn't work).

It has been documented ad infintum in newsgroups and on Bugzilla - every time FF release a new version they proclaim its fixed... but it isn't!

http://neosmart.net/blog/archives/141

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?p=751664

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  13. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

hmmm interesting... in that case it *seems* to be working fine on my computer (now keeping fingers crossed), but Cheers for that Zeb...

14. Raffaz

What other advantages have ya noticed with opera over FF apart from the memory leaks issue? Cheers

Mick

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

To be honest, they are very similar but I prefer Opera's built in download manager. I believe Opera renders more sites by default than FF, meaning I rarely have to switch to IE. Opera was the first to introduce tabbed browsing and I like the way the tabs are laid out with a close button on each individual one.

I like the customisable start up options, where you can carry on from last time if you so wish.

I like the privacy options and the built in RSS feeds, built in pop up blocker.

I like the fact that it's a small download and not bloated.

Read this page first http://www.opera.com/products/desktop/

Then give it a whirl, download it and see for yourself. http://www.opera.com/

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)