Problem Best way to sync a Laptop and a desktop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rockstar007, Aug 18, 2011.

1. rockstar007

rockstar007 Bit Poster

I wish to have a desktop and separate laptop which is used off site and then on return i wish to sync the documents of the laptop with the desktop. What would be the best way to do this. Also i want to connect the laptop to the desktop screen, would the best way of doing this be to use a KVM switch.

Thanks in advance

Dave

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Not sure of the "best" way, as what may be the best for one person may not be for another.

An option that you can consider is Windows Live Mesh, all you need is an internet connection and a live ID.

As for the monitor, will the laptop have it's own screen or are you sharing with the PC? If you're sharing, then yes a KVM switch would be a good choice, I would also recommend a docking station for the laptop (maybe a USB one) so that you don't have to keep on plugging/unplugging multiple cables - just one, the USB one.

-Ken

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Indeed - or something like Dropbox.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

if you dont want something "cloudy" then microsofts sync toy would also do that

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. frankcastle

frankcastle Bit Poster

Technology has changed the way you can synchronize your all settings on a computer. Now a days you can even carry a complete live operating system on a pen drive . There are many software available in the market which will help you carry your profile settings along with you in pen drive without much difficulties. you can find many portable apps which will help you to do this smoothly.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: CCNA
  6. UncleBeard

UncleBeard Nibble Poster

I would second the vote for Dropbox, I use that a lot. Wouldn't use it for a Profile folder which would contain all sorts of stuff that would be sync'ed every time the laptop is connected to the net.

I also use SyncBack Freeware from How to backup data - backup software free download. SyncBackPro, SyncBackSE, SyncBack Freeware and more

This allows you to set up what they call profiles to compare folders, and can be set up with exceptions to omit certain files or folders, for example temporary stuff.

Certifications: MOS 2003, 2007 and 2010, Master 2003, 2007 and 2010, MMI 2003, MCT, ITIL Foundation