Best way to study.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by werthers93, May 3, 2007.

1. werthers93

werthers93 Bit Poster

I've received the A+ complete study guide and have the exam prep book on its way.

Can somebody enlighten me on the best way to revise, I'm new to homestudying, especially IT.

Is it worth making notes as I go through, or summarising each chapter, or marking up the book with key points (dont think i could bring myself to do this though!!)?

I know this may sound like somebody asking how to suck eggs but I dont just want to get bogged down with too much info from the offset.

Cheers,

Mark.

WIP: WIP A+
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

This is how I revised for the A+ 2003:

1) Read a book (in this case Mike Meyers All-In-One)
    2) As reading the book, paraphase everything onto A4 lined paper.
    3) After finishing the book, go through each chapter and write down anything that seems likely to be in the exam, and more importantly write down things I can't remember (eg, I know how CPU, Northbridge and RAM work together so I don't write it down, but IRQs/DMAs I will write down).
    4) After having two sets of notes - detailed book like notes and revision notes I go about reading the revision notes over lunch, at work when its quiet, any time really.
    5) From the revision notes, I cram anything I need to remember into 1/2 words and put them all on 1 sheet of A4 per chapter. And keep re-reading and understanding.
    6) Use CBT or test exams to see where I'm at. If the scores are too low I repeat steps 4 and 5 until I feel confident.

Next time round (which will be 70-271) I'll probably read, write notes during re-read and then skip step 3 - having 3 sets of notes was a little over the top so I have found - but other than that thats it.

Did the same with my degree and it worked out OK - but it does vary from person to person.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I found with A+ it's best to download they syllabus to keep on track and have an idea what may be asked in the exam

second - down load a concise study guide called cram session it Free!! Wow something for free in this world!:biggrin

get hold of the books and buy postcards and writing pads. The Post cards you can get from staples and make excellent revision cards!. On one side you could have the question and the other the answers with page reference to the books.

I find the best way to remember stuff is to write it down! Then rewrite what you have written into questions. It's the only way to see if what you have learn't/ written has sunk in:biggrin

Good luck!

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Read each book from cover to cover and make notes at the end of each chapter. As you progress you may want to start doing some lab work. I did this for the A+ by installing all the operating systems covered in the A+ on virtual PC.

Revise your notes and then perhaps purchase some legitimate test questions. If you score well then it may be time to take the exam(s). If you don’t score well then make a note of the areas you are weak in. Don’t take the same test exam again as it is very easy to remember the answers and this will not help you in the real exam.

Best of luck! 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

What even the All in one book??

Ouch! you could use that thing for weightlifting:biggrin

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, I read the whole thing for the A+, good read and easy to take in the info.

Must admit when the book arrived I was like 'WTF!, it will take years to read that book!" :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Exactly my thought also - it only took me 3 months to read in entirely and make solid notes throughout - at times I thought it would take forever!!

8. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Have you got Mike Meyers A+ Passport book?

I can't beleive the difference in size. It really was a bit of a shock when I got the all in one book after reading the passport book.8)

9. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

No I never bought it - whats the difference? I automatically went for the bigger book as it was more comprehensive. What differences are there between the two (except for the obvious size! :D )

10. werthers93

werthers93 Bit Poster

Been studying the last few days with the Mike Meyers book. Think ive gone overkill on the notes though!! Ive made 9 pages of notes and I'm only half way through microprocessors.

WIP: WIP A+