Best way to show promotion on CV

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Mikeyboy, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

What is everyone's opinion of the best way to show a promotion on your CV?

I will just explain briefly, I have recently had my job title changed from "Junior IT support" to just IT Support...

I am still doing pretty much the same, obviously a bit more responsibility now but in general am just doing the same as before, I have always been the only support person really but have gradually taken on more things as I have learned more...

Is it best to just put the new job title, and date on the CV, and then just take some of the entries I had previously written (the better sounding ones :biggrin) and add them under the new title? Or just write everything under the new one and then write as above or something?

Just curious as to how other people have approached this, as I want to update my CV...

Thanks

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Two real trains of thought here

1, the most senior title stays on the resume, list entire job period and all responsibilities

pros: your title looks more impressive for longer period of time
    cons: your responsibilities often include stuff beneath the job role

2, line for each job title and description as it changes, with adjusted dates

pros: great for showing rapid promotion, to highlight dedication and progress, seems more honest
    cons: takes up more space, can be a negative if promotion is slow, job descriptions can be shorter if time spent in role was limited

option one will probably be the best path for you at the moment, based on the minor shift in title and responsibilities

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've always followed Ryan's option 1. It's worked for me over the years, so I'd recommend it as well.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I go with Option 2 of Ryan's. But with a slight variation from the norm.

View attachment 2034

As you can see, I list the company once, with the complete start-end dates of my continuous employment.

Under that I list the Role and dates applicable for it. I then list the responsibilities.

I'm actually tempted to reduce the list of responsibilities down where there are duplicates, and just include a single "As below" line.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present