Best way to pitch a change of role on a CV?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Lord Deckard, May 13, 2006.

1. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Forgive me if you've read this before but I just noticed the thread I originally started had vanished. I'll blame that damn hacker Grrr!

Anyway, been working in a bank call centre since July last year so basically got loads of customer service/helpdesk/support/investigation & questioning/call logging type background experience. Couple of months ago, moved onto out e-commerce support team and now help out with any technical, navigational and transactional issues (can't log on, how to set cookies, internet fraud enquiries, how can I see all my accounts online etc) as well as answering emails on anything sent through our website. Even had to answer mails about why we used grey squirrels in our advert instead of native red squirrels. Some of you may have worked out which bank I work for now....

Soooo, my question is! Do I update my CV to show 1 entry detailing everything I've been doing for the past 10 months or break it down into the 2 seperate roles? To be honest, they ain't too disimilar but obviously my title changed and they gave me an e-mail address :D

Anyone been in a similar situation or have any opinions on the best way too tackle it?

Lord Deckard.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Two distinct roles would be my suggestion. You could also state in a sentence or so why you cnaged roles - promotion, new challenge, etc. 8)

I've been in a simillar situation, where my job role was extended and I got a new title, so I list it as an internal promotion and that way it shows that I'm not standing still. 8)

3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

What he said.

Break it up to make it sound as if you have had several different positions so you can show how adaptable you are.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I would suggest two.... Good luck :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Cheers guys, I'm going with the multiple roles option. Did the same thing in my last job (9years at HMV and moved round stores and roles a lot!!), the only reason I was considering lumping this job into 1 role was so it looked like 9 months of proper computer support! I'm in that awkward position a lot of people find going for the 1st IT role, all the roles I could get easily pay way less than I'm on the now and the roles I *know* I could do won't look at me due to a lack of work based experience. Worse comes to worse I'll end up taking a paycut and work part time at my current job. Not at that point yet but if nothing comes up within 6 months....

Lord Deckard.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA