Best Way To Learn SBS 2003 ?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by paulwilko, Jan 14, 2010.

1. paulwilko

paulwilko Bit Poster

Hiya, you may of seen my post about doing work in Schools.

After talking to a well established company that we have known for years, he has suggested that i get myself a small server, add to it SBS 2003 and learn it. Get people to break and try and fix the solution.

Now thats well and good, but I need to know how to use it in the first place, so I need some reading material.

What in your oppinion is the best book to learn SBS 2003 ?

Also, to know SBS 2003, is it a must that I know other things so it all comes together, or is it possible to Learn SBS on its own

Please note i do have a basic knowledge of software and operating systems, so i am not a total noob

Thx for any help

Paul

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I've never known any schools that use SBS, mainly due to the limitations of it. I would say possibily learn the individual technologies in SBS first, eg Windows Server, Exchange, ISA and Sharepoint, as that would give you a better and deeper understanding of the technologies.

As for learning about it, get yourself a server and a Technet subscription and the CBT for it and a book - maybe the one for the exam. Plus also see here and here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

There is also an SBS CBT from CBTNuggets.
    here

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  4. paulwilko

paulwilko Bit Poster

Ok, it would seem that SBS is not what schools are using as psoted earlier.

I have a fairly decent pc at home which I can easily convert to a server.

Do you think putting Windows Server 2003 on it and learning its capabilities is a good idea ?
    What book would you recommend for me to learn this software

Many thx

Paul:biggrin

5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

if you have a decent machine
    head over to our virtualization forum, and go virtualize :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

These set of books are good. However you may want to start off with something like this to get the basics.

There are also a variety of CBT's to choose from :)

Yeah, the way to go :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security