Best way to learn Linux

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by michael78, Dec 22, 2005.

1. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

i've been reading this thread with much interest, mainly because i am currently contemplating going for the lpic certs. i've got all the microsoft certs i need, plus some others, and after having done no substantial study for a while, i am looking for a new challenge.

now, lpic is said to be distribution neutral, following the linux standard base. i do have some linux experience, although over the years i have always gravitated towards the bsd branch of the unix descendants. from what i know not all distributions are alike, and y'all have verified as much here. my question is, how different are they (tools, file/folder structure, etc) and how does this relate to the lpic curriculum?

2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

d-Faktor,

If I remember correctly, and I'm doing this off the top of my head, you can take the LPIC cert in either of two ways. One uses the Debian installer format, and the other uses the Redhat installer format.

As to differences in file structure, there isn't a lot of difference. Some distro's may place files in different places but that's about it. As you know the *BSD's use a couple of different file systems than Linux does but that isn't all that hard to pick up on.

I just had to hack into FreeBSD system the other day and I was surprised at how close it really is to Linux. Yes, some things are different, but the similarities outweight the differences imo.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

appreciated, freddy.

4. 9box

9box Bit Poster

Thanks freddie, i think that i will go with Debian, but i also like the sound of Ubunto too, either, ither, eenie meenie...... Seriously thanks for that :D

5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I believe that Ubuntu is actually a descendant of debain......

Could be wrong though. :rolleyes:

6. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

If you really want to learn Linux I would recommend using Debian rather than Ubuntu. Debian will force you to learn. Ubuntu, imo, is a dumbed-down version of Debian. It does run the latest packages of everything, but it doesn't make you learn nearly as much.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  7. 9box

9box Bit Poster

Thanks folks, Debian it is, i am now on the case. 9box