Best trainers for gym use?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by richardw, Jun 25, 2008.

1. richardw

richardw Nibble Poster

Im joining the gym at work, as we have a special offer on.

What are the best trainers for general gym use?
    Not for track running or street use, but for use on the equipment etc

Im not a trainers person, so dont currently have any, just lots of sk8 shoes :D

Certifications: MOS (Master), MMI
    WIP: MCAS, AAT
  2. Jimbooo

Jimbooo Nibble Poster

You want some trainers/shoes that are comfortable, breathable and durable.

I've had a pair of Nike Air Max Neuro cross training shoes for 6 months now and they're great. They were £65 but worth it. If you're serious about sticking with the gym, you don't want to buy some crappy trainers that don't prevent injury or strain.

Certifications: 4 A-Levels
    WIP: BSc (Hons) Computing
  3. Armchair Pimp

Armchair Pimp Byte Poster

If you're real serious about training you need to decide what training you want to do.. what I mean is a lot of your decision may be based on how much treadmill work you want to do.. personally I'd suggest some kind of cross-trainer for general use..

If you have a decent sports shop near you pop along and get fitted for shoes so you know what type you need (in terms of cushioning and support).. then shop around for some that will give you that..

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL Found+Pract, A+
    WIP: MCSA, MCTS, MCITP
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

What he said.

Cross-trainers are the most vesitile.
    Nowadays these things are getting so complicated.

Don't by something really cheap, but don't buy anything stupidly expensive either.
    You're better off going middle of the road and then changing them when they begin to wear out.

Go to a decent sports shop to ask advice and get measured, but don't buy shoes from them.
    Go to a retail outlet villiage where they sell off last year's colours and you'll get them a fraction of the cost. Or somewhere like TK Maxx.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD