Best Study Guide /Book for 284

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by dcuk, Oct 27, 2006.

1. dcuk

dcuk Bit Poster

Hi all,

With a little bit of luck, I will hopefully only have one exam lest for my mcsa as of monday. I would like to finish off with exchange server 2003 (70-284), however, the more that I investigate which study guide to use, the more confused I've become.

A LOT of people slate the 284 guide from MS. As I have been using a combination of the MS books (some better than others) and testout's excellent video tutorials, does anyone have anything to say (good or bad) re this book. Does the book come with a 15% exam discount as with all of the other books I've purchased so far?

Secondly, if I decide to go for the book, would anyone be willing to part with their copy and for how much. Ideally, I'd like to pick up in London if poss.

Finally, does anyone want to discuss the relative merits of this exam versus the security exam, with relation to job prospects as I still have time to change my mind :)

thanks for all feedback,
    dc

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Whilst I'm no expert I'd say that having the ability to configure email, more specifically exchange, is a greater asset to employers than the ability to secure a network.

Being able to successfully secure a network is a skill that I expect most employers would take for granted that you could do, but configuring exchange is a skill that they will undoubtedly look for more often in a potential employee. That is unless of course the job that you are going for is a specific network security role.

Others may disagree, but thats just my thoughts on the matter.

As for the book, well what resources have you used successfully in the past, and how did you find them? Its all good and well someone saying that they disliked one book, but their prefered style of study may differ to yours, so go with what you feel suits you. Of course you should never just rely on a single source for any of your studies, always have a second as something may be explained differenty in another text and make it easier for you to understand.

8)

3. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hey dcuk,

I think i'm going to follow the exchange route when i've finished the other exams. I haven't read the official study guide but I use the Exchange Server 2003 pocket consultant at work on a regular basis.

It's a good book if you want to know how to get something done, but as it is a pocket reference it doesn't go into any depth about WHY things are configured the way that they are.

I would certainly recommend it as an aid to your core reading text though. 8)

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i just want bring to your attention some points i found out when i researched my electives for mcsa..

to do 284 you to have worked now exchange before and it could possibly be the hardest exam you have done but the ms press book i was told was the best book out there.

mcdst (which i did) is another option

and the security exams IMO arent worth it at this stage so i say its been those two... if you have time go with 284 - i didnt because of my uni

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

The sybex 284 book is also very good, i used it for my own exam prep!

any knowledge of exchange is a godsend in the work place (if they use exchange), security while equally useful long term might not be so apparant to recruiters and job specs

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. dcuk

dcuk Bit Poster

well thanks guys, you've once again shown me that this is one of the best forums out there. I only put the question up a few hours ago and I've got some really thought provoking replies.

Re: the 284 exam, I'd have to agree I think that as long as your work place uses exchange you are definately a "visible" asset. By that I mean, when you fix the e-mail you are a god, when you secure a network, no -one knows or cares, they only care when it goes down. Sad but true, I've found out that you get paid more for things that have a direct impact such as e-mail.

The study guides that I've been using, as I've said above, are testout and MS books. I've found that they complement each other perfectly (lots of hands on and reading!). It's just I was freaked out by the amount of negative press I saw for this book on amazon. So thanks go to Zimbo for the recommendation of sorts, I'd trust your opinion far more than some unknown from amazon.

Re, my career path, well it's kind of convoluted, I've already got professional qualifications in another subject but I've found myself drifting into IT. (Note that I've done IT from school many years ago Karnau maps and Jackson charts ago :), and have kept up to date through curiosity). It's only in the past year that I've started getting certs proper and I'd have to say that they have paid off, I've got a nice job that I'm starting in January. It is however oracle based (*NOTE* any chance of an oracle sub forum ???), not that I know any oracle yet but they are prepared to train me as I'm very clued up in my own field which is experience that they don't have. So I'd like to get my MCSA completed asap and then work through the other modules for an MCSE. I also feel that an MCSA will make me more sellable and usefull for other employers even though I probably wont use much of it in my new job. As I've found out over the years, It always pays to have an ace up your sleeve should things in the workplace go sour (I will also probably go for an CCNA in the next year or so!).

dc

p.s. for all of those people who don't feel that certs count, trust me they do, I doubt that I would have been given my new job without a couple of MCP's. They Obviously figures that If i could do those I could go for an OCA & P. Maybe I should post this bit in the general section to give some motivation to those struggling to find a job?

7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

great i could help - only prob was my source of info was no other than Sir Ryan aka Phoenix - many months ago! :biggrin :biggrin

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ryan has been knighted? Well I must say, it's about time Her Maj pulled her finger out :dry

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

LMAO! :biggrin