Best Starting Place?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Uggers, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Uggers

Uggers New Member

Hi All,

I've been a lurker for quite a while on the site I apologise for asking a question that gets asked many times.
    but I had a few questions regarding certs and qualifications.

Currently I am working in a Data Center doing logistics work (reciving hardware/breakfixes, shipping around to different Datacenters in my organisation etc)
    While its hands on and enjoyable, As a contrator I'm in a position that has no room for growth within the company I work at, and the company I work for with my current qualifications.

Currently my best qualifications include a Triple Distinction BTEC in Music Tech (x3 A Alevels) and a ECDL for MS Office.

I am not 100% sure what in IT I would like to develop into a career, although at work we've been dealing with security and risk involvement regarding Data on Media/Flash Cards/Ram etc, and
    I spent alot of time reading into Security/Whitehat type work, which I found very interesting.

I've been looking at the CompTIA courses, A+ and Security+ which seem like a good start. But other than that I'm not sure if this is the best way,
    one of my biggest possible hurdles is maths and me do not get on, so I wonder if this will cause me a headache further down the line.

I am also not to sure what level A+ I would want to look at, there seems to be various levels/codes/years that companies advertise.
    If this is a good start, any recomendations to self learning companies with good reputations?

If this isn't a good start any ideas what would be?

2. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

A+ would be a great certification for you to go for if you are looking to become an IT Technician, or even just to get the ball rolling for yourself.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  3. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

I doubt this will be an issue, don't worry.

N+ and Sec+ together would be a good intro to things, I can't comment on the A+ as I've no idea of it's content or how up to date it is.

Think about what it is you want to do (so security maybe), then look at existing roles/job ads out there. Then join the dots as to how you might be able to get there.

4. Uggers

Uggers New Member

Thank you both for the advice,

I think I will start with the A+, I'm fairly used to building computers, been doing it for many years for friends. But it seems like a good idea to go more in depth and fill in some of the blanks, plus being certified will help.

I'm certainly keen on the security/risk side of it. So I will look at N+ and Sec+ afterwards I think.

I'm planning on self-studying, but I am a little unsure of the what year/exams, it seems its now 2012 and not 2009 now? Are there any self studying guides that are worth following?

or is it simply
    Read Book XYZ
    Take Exam

5. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

If you are intrested in security/risk this exam is a nice intro into secuirty and also helps with 27001 if you were to go more in depth in to security/risk.

Certifications: A few.