Best Practices - Ten Commandments of Computerization

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Kitkatninja, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Best Practices - Ten Commandments of Computerization

The First Commandment - The Duty to Adopt Technology

As computers become more pervasive and their widespread use becomes more commonplace, negligence may arise from a failure to use computer systems which prevent damage and harm. This is essentially the Hooper principle. The essential elements in determining whether failure to use computers is negligent were perhaps most succinctly stated in another American case called United States v. Carroll Towing: (i) the probability of harm; (ii) the gravity of the foreseeable injury; and (iii) the burden of adequate precautions.

Under that approach, if the gravity of the anticipated injury were low, or if the expense of the precautions were so burdensome as to be out of proportion to the risk and gravity of harm, a duty may not arise; conversely, if the probability and gravity of harm were relatively high and the burden of the precautions were low, a duty would arise. Thus, a duty to adopt a technological solution would arise if, as is now so often the case, the technology favourably altered the relative balance between the probability and gravity of harm, on the one hand, and the burden of the solution, on the other hand.

Read the rest of the "10 Commandments" here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security