Best practice for incorrect group policy settings

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by dales, Mar 4, 2008.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi all,

I've got a quick question about gpo settings. i took an practice test the other day and got a question about group policy and the jist was that a junior admin had setup 3 group policies and incorrectly assigned them to the root domain and I had to sort them out. It was one of those move answer from the right box to the left in order, first thing i did was to unlink to gpos, make some amendments to computer account OU's and then link the gpos to the correct ou's.

But I got the question wrong as the order was too order the computer accounts, link the gpos then unlink the wrong gpos.

so I was wondering is there a best practice for reorganising gpo's or had they just decided to do it that way for the question, as I thought my answer was the best as I unlinked removed the issues the gpos caused first and then put them in the right place.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You need to consider what a group policy actually does to the target computers. In essence it changes settings in the registry. So, if you unlink the GPO, it will not undo those changes, they will remain in effect.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

hmm, yes thats a good point, I suppose my way of thinking was the question made out there was quite a few hundred users at the site, and I suppose I assumed that there would be people logging on and off quite regularly (maybe shift works), so i wanted to get rid of the problem first then fix it, but yes I do see your point. I'll take that as best practice next time i do a dummy test and see if I get any similar questions to try it out on.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing