Best practice for applying shares and NTFS permissions

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by TechTock, Jul 4, 2012.

1. TechTock

TechTock Byte Poster

It's been a fair while since I have had to do permissions but if I remember correctly is it still best practice to give a group full share permissions to the folder and then adjust the permissions level using NTFS?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician | PRINCE2 Foundation | VCP5
    WIP: Having a rest :-)
  2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

It's the most restrictive of the combination of the two, isn't it.

Give all authenticated users full control share permissions, and then use the NTFS permissions to lock it down.

3. AdamV

AdamV Bit Poster

Agreed, and ideally use groups to apply the NTFS permissions, rather than individual users.

Certifications: MCT, MCSA:Messaging 2003, MCTS:Dynamics CRM 4.0 and 2011; MOS: Master Instructor 2003, 2007
    WIP: Writing CRM 2013 Customization course. Planning to take all CRM 2013 exams ASAP
  4. TechTock

TechTock Byte Poster

Cheers guys thought that was the case but just wanted to confirm that is right. Think I've let my AD skills slip a little over the years.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician | PRINCE2 Foundation | VCP5
    WIP: Having a rest :-)