Best place to start ?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Ben, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Ben

Ben New Member

Hello,

Right i plan on getting myself some qualifications around windows 2000.

Most jobs i have seen ask for that so it seems the best place to start.

I have used Windows 2000 in the past at home, i am running windows XP pro at the moment which is networked with another PC so i understand alittle how it all works.

I have no idea where to start with getting a MCP/MCSE in windows 2000.

I have been looking around the MS web site and think that the exam, "70-210 Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional " is the best place to start ?

I have worked in a IT support role for 15 months (over the teleplone), i have just left that job, because i hated it so much !

Also what books are the best for learning MCSE/MCP stuff ?

Anymore pointers/input would be great thanks.

Cheers

2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Hi Ben,

You're right, 70-210 is the first place to start on the Windows 2000 track then build from there, if you check out the CertForums 70-210 Faq Page there are some book suggestions there to help you self study, the suggestions are the MS study guides but there are a range of others available including Sybex amongst many. The book you choose to use is mostly down to personal preferrence. None of them are perfect but my choice would be the MS because they seem to suit my way of study, others will swear by Sybex.

What sort of stuff were you supporting in the call center ?

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. Ben

Ben New Member

Cheers Phil, will check that out.

I worked at a placed called PC Service Call, supporting all the computers/laptops/printers/scanners that PC World/Dixons/Currys sold.

Diagnosing/fixing hardware and software faults over the phone.

Nohing great, but my first job in IT (i am 19)

/EDIT

So you would say this book would be great for the 70-210

"MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit: Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional, Exam 70-210" get it for £30.79 from Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...79499/br=3-2/br_lfncs_b_2/202-9728915-0789415

4. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

That would be my choice, it may be worth going down to waterstones to take a look at the different books available and see if there is any particular style which you think you could work with.

Working in a call center would be my idea of hell, bad enough dealing with users face to face :) What have you been doing since the call center ?

5. Ben

Ben New Member

Well i left 23rd December just gone, so its been about month and a half.

Done nothing since i have left. Well been trying to pass my driving test as that will help my chances of getting a job.

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

The only thing I would add different from Phil's advice is that if networking wasn't something you're overly comfortable with, then do the compTIA Network+ first.

If you're OK with it, then go straight for the 70-210. One misconception that many people have expressed about this exam is that it is just about the Desktop environment - NO - it is about how 2k Pro interacts with a networked scenario, hence it is fairly tightly integrated with the 2k 215 (Server) exam.

If you can happily nail the 210, then 215 is a logical progression (not "more of the same", as some folks will tell you, though).

Whatever you decide, Ben - all the very best :D Just make sure you use the knowledge and info available form the Guys around here (and at least you get to chill as well :lol: )

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. Ben

Ben New Member

If i was to do this 70-210 exam and pass would that mean i have one MCP in windows 2000 ?

How do u get a MCSE in windows 2000, do you need to have so many MCP's ?

Cheers

8. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Thats right, pass 210 and you'll be a windows 2000 MCP. To be an MCSE you will need to pass 7 exams, 4 core and 3 electives. If you take a look in the forum faq's you'll find links to details on the microsoft website about the MCSE certification process.