Best PC Magazines??

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by hugorilho, May 16, 2009.

1. hugorilho

hugorilho Byte Poster

I like PC Plus. They have interesting articles and cool programs on their free DVD. Computer Weekly is good also. What day does it gets published? Tuesday, is it? Any other recomendations? What about online computer and IT news and articles? What do you guys recomend?

Certifications: MCDST
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I reccomend Toms Hardware and AnandTech.

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

PC Pro is bought sometimes, but if I am going to buy a mag it's customPC it's always got good reviews on hardware and the best places to buy it and also regularly has articles in it on how to increase peformance without buying hardware.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. hugorilho

hugorilho Byte Poster

Thanks for the tips guys. I like PC Plus because it has articles more like focused on general (but interesting nonetheless) issues rather than on hardware, although, of course, it has some useful reviews as well. Good articles on cloud computing (the pros and cons, cool stuff), windows 7, the increasing tendency on chinese and russian hacking and so on, useful how to's, you name it. A bit expensive though, as usual in these kind of magazines.

Certifications: MCDST
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

WindowsITPro magazine.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

PC Pro for me. Decent feature articles, the regular columns from Jon Honeyball, Davey Winder and (especially) Steve Cassidy's Networks column are always good too. On top of that I find the mag to be a whole lot more impartial than some of the other titles - although Honeyball can sometimes be a bit of an MS fanboy he regularly slates them too - something often missing from other mags.

I also read Wired - I've read the US one for years, but the two recent UK issues have been very, very good too.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. guyver9114

guyver9114 Bit Poster

I go with PC Pro and Personal Computer World as both can have some good reviews and hands on info

Certifications: MCSA: Messaging, MCT
    WIP: Nothing for a few months :)
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

A few years back I subscribed to PC Pro and the content and quality of the info plus software included was good. I think most of the info can now be read online i.e. Tom's Hardware and even PC Pro saving you £££:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Depends on what your into really. I love PC Pro for more serious stuff, and i love their ratings section. I also love custom PC for system building and overclocking etc

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Been reading PC Pro for years now.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

I used to love PC:Format, but they changed their editor quite a while ago and it went downhill. Most of the magazine is focused on gaming now.

Other than that, Custom PC and PC Pro are near the top.

As for general 'Tech' magazines, it's got to be Wired, which has just launched in the UK. (You used to be able to get it, but it was just an imported version)

12. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

Where can you get Wired UK? Like who stocks it, any of the big supermarket chains?

Certifications: Bsc Net/Sys Support, HND Tech Support
    WIP: Network+
  13. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

I don't know. I subscribed to it as soon I saw they were launching it. It's £24/year for 12 issues.

I would imagine it's a lot more widespread now. The only place that used to stock Wired (US) was WH:Smith as far as I know.

14. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

Yeah, I seen the subscription, was going to subscribe but wanted a look at it first and not the sampler that's on the website hah. I remember they used to do the US one in borders aswell.

Certifications: Bsc Net/Sys Support, HND Tech Support
    WIP: Network+
  15. Rheinkraft

Rheinkraft Bit Poster

I get Custom PC, find this really interesting but yea, depends what floats your boat :p

16. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Me too
    There was an offer on about 2 months ago where you'd get 3 months of custompc plus a free little toolkit for £1!
    i signed up and it was quite worth it, interesting articles in there. the toolkit's main screwdriver is a bit flimsy, but for the convenience, it was definately worth the £1.

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  17. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

You guys get time to read magazines!

I must be doing something very wrong with my time management :biggrin

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  18. LordMoolyBap

LordMoolyBap Nibble Poster

I am subscribed to Personal Computer World and to Computer Active.
    PCW comes once a month but Computer Active comes every 2 weeks which is good although it doesn't really contain much that will change my world.

PCW is generally good though!

Certifications: HND (Comp) MBCS
    WIP: Msc Intelligent Systems
  19. Rheinkraft

Rheinkraft Bit Poster

Damn, I missed that, Im definitely going to sign up as soon as I can afford it tho :D