Best option - HND Internetworking or Certs

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Juanito, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Juanito

Juanito Bit Poster

What would give me a better chance of getting a or look better on the cv?

Certifications: A+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Me personally, imo, I would like to see both.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. LordMoolyBap

LordMoolyBap Nibble Poster

I would agree that both would be better. The certs generally mean you know the product they are in such MCAD or MCSE but the HND will give you a more rounded view of IT in general and not just in one area.

I think the HND gives you a good feel for the different roles that are available in IT as well.

Certifications: HND (Comp) MBCS
    WIP: Msc Intelligent Systems
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I agree, you can't get better than a HND or degree thats backed up by certs. In your area of expertise of course

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. adencool

adencool Bit Poster

I have got a HNC in computing (never did the extra year for the HND)

personally I think the HNC are worthless in the it industry (ready to get flamed)

both my self and a colleague both took this a the same time, different colleges and very different content
    (mine included 3 of 4 parts of a ccna (this was in 2002) ccna was slightly different to now) i was already doing the it support where i work so never use the cert to apply for new work)

but my colleague was then in accounts, and when he did come to change jobs, he never got a response with just "hnc" (even when lying about currently doing it support). The problem mainly is most it jobs are thru proxies (i.e. recruitment agency's) and look for certain things on a c.v. - i.e. A+, mcp, etc and hnc does not cut the mustard). But after he had achieved a+ and 2 mcp cert, the phone never stopped ringing.

strange really a hnc takes 2 years at 1 day a week, where you can get a few mcps in a couple of weeks if your prepared to study hard

Certifications: HNC,Mcdst,MCITP:SA,MCTS,MCSA
    WIP: mcitp:ea