Best IT Jobs websites?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by hugorilho, Apr 25, 2009.

1. hugorilho

hugorilho Byte Poster

Hey guys. Do any of you recommend any site with ads for IT jobs? I'm specifically looking for a trainee job.

Here's my life in a nutshell.

I'm from Portugal, and I came to England (Newcastle to be exact) to give my life a fresh reboot. I've been a journalist for the last couple of years but I'm done with that, so I decided to apply for a MA in Public Relations at Newcastle University.

The course will start in September but I came earlier, in January, to climatize (freezing weather up here in the northeast but it's getting better), to improve my language skills, and to find a job (minimum wage would be enough) that would kept me occupied. During these last 4 months, I've been attending some interviews for sales jobs and I did get a job in sales but I quit after a month or so because I wasn't born to sell stuff to people. I can't do it in Portuguese, even less in English... So with this economic climate, I'm now stuck here in Newcastle.

Then I've discovered these IT certifications and tried to give it a go because I've gained some IT skills while I was journalist. I was my newspaper's website content managemer and office where I worked had a windows XP pro workgroup environment with an old Pentium III (great machine in the old days, hehe and it had been given fresh new RAM and other components so that it could run XP Pro) working as a file server.

I learned a few basic but useful things form the network administrator. Now I'm studying really hard for my 70 271 exam booked for the end of May. But what about afterwards? After I've completed my MCDST (both exams, of course) will it increase my chances in getting a job here in Newcastle or in the Northeast or should I move to London?

A trainee job would suit me because despite having IT skills gained in a professional context I've never worked in a purely IT environment.

Sorry for this long post. I had to take it out of my chest...Sometimes I feel like I have a bad timing disorder...Oh well...

Certifications: MCDST
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hello and a belated welcome to CF:)

job sites:

www.jobserve.co.uk
    www.jobsite.co.uk
    www.reeds.co.uk

Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. mrtea

mrtea Bit Poster

bonjourno,

hope your enjoying newcastle, im just on my way to find a nice bear garden in jesmond. not so cold today.

i know my place takes on a lot of temp workers from kellys (www.kellyservices.co.uk) . That might be a good place to start giving your experience.

good luck.

4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Do not limit yourself just to certain websites.

I would look everywhere; the websites that have already been mentioned, council (local & county) websites, Civil service job websites, local/national papers, Computer publications like Computerweekly, the jobcentreplus, network with other IT professionals (eg word of mouth, forums, professional associations, etc), etc...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. hugorilho

hugorilho Byte Poster

Ok guys, thanks for all the tips. There are some entry level jobs here and there that even provide initial training but they ask for experience. Which is understandable and weird at the same time. The thing is, I'm also a drummer and I've been jamming with these dudes who work in T as programmers. The bassist has a university degree in computer related subject, but the guitarrist has no IT background whatsoever. He told me that his university degree was in archeology and said that he does not have any kind of IT certification. And there he is, building Java-based applications for the Newcastle Airport. I wonder how's that possible?? Do any of you know anyone with a similar story?

Certifications: MCDST
  8. Fresh108

Fresh108 Bit Poster

Certifications: BSc Computer Science, A+
    WIP: MCDST
  9. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

A degree in IT/Computing is nice, but not essential. There are two things when it comes to degrees:

1 is the subject that the degree is in, and
    2 it's the underlining knowledge that the degree shows.

Added to that, programming/web design is slightly different to IT Support when it IT Certifications. Programming/web design is more based on a portfolio.

And yes I do. One of my mates, who has now retired, use to be a nurse, then moved into programming/system development. One of the major hospitals down in London use/used his system (not sure if they still use it as he retired a few years ago).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I've found www.cwjobs.co.uk one of the best, jobserve also mentioned above. cwjobs will email you jobs so once your set up you can forget about it.
    Cheers
    James

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs