Best ISP and Modem for Gaming

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Zeeman, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Zeeman

Zeeman Bit Poster

Sup Folks,

Was wondering, Which is the best ISP for gaming? My ISP (BeBox) currently disconnects frequesntly and is terrible for online gaming. It put me of playing RTS and I haven;t played any online games for a good year now LOL. (something good can come out of something bad, coz some of those games can take your life over! lol :D)

Although my ISP says nothing is wrong at there end so It is most likely the modem/router? So which is the best Modem to get? :eek:

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, CCNP Security, Security+, Computer Engineer/BENG
    WIP: CEH, Later CISSP and ISO27001
  2. S0l5

S0l5 Bit Poster

Netgear or Lynksis

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

A question for you, are you running wireless or plugged straight into the switch/router?

I can't say for modem's as I'm a Virgin customer (Cable) and they provide the modem for me, but for the router/switch, I have to say Linksys. Didn't like Buffalo, Netgear and edimax as they died on me within a year - but that's just personal preference.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Zeeman

Zeeman Bit Poster

I am wireless whilst my bro is plugged straight on to it. Sometimes I feel liking smashing the BeBox in sometimes while I am browsing the net as it goes off.. I felt worse while I was gaming online :p

I heard Netgear is good for it, but didn't know Linksys was that good, hmmm... Guess I shall have to go for the cheaper one :p

5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Also be aware of the different models around, plus the version of firmware on them, for me I've had a couple of rubbish linksys boxes, but I've had more great boxes from them. Linksys is a sub from Cisco.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. OceanPacific

OceanPacific Byte Poster

Linksys Linksys Linksys. Ive used several wirelss routers and Linksys beat them all in stability and performance. Its been running solid for two years now. Ive gone through a D-Link and an AirLink and blew them both to pieces. My Linksys, however, has been trucking with no problems.

I blew my D-Link in a matter of hours. D-Link is complete garbage.

WIP: N+, A+
  7. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

i use a cisco 877 on Be*(extremely stable), even when i used the BeBox it was fine for online gaming. Do you have fastpath enabled on your line?

Dont foget you will need a modem that will support:
    ADSL2+
    Annex M(if using upload+)

have you tryed everything in the "Getting the best from your connection" post on the Be* members forum?

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  8. Zeeman

Zeeman Bit Poster

I prob check this out when I get home, although I'm pretty sure my Bro has seen it, thanks dude :D

I have had the same wireless modem from Bebox for the last 3 years now, I completely fortgot the spec... all I know is it has to be changed... and fast...

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

This has been my experience as well. I wouldn't use a D-Link if you gave me one for free.

I typically purchase Netgear, but I have absolutely no problems with Linksys - they work fine as well.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!