Best Gaming laptop to buy @ £350

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RJ-Hall, Nov 5, 2010.

1. RJ-Hall

RJ-Hall New Member

Hi all

I am in a spot of bother with purchasing a laptop for xmas preferably to support games like RCT3. I have upto a max of £350 to spend - I know its not a great amount however, I understand that by word of mouth or looking in the RIGHT places you can mussle up a great deal.

Below I have a model with spec which I am really considering to purchase due to the gaming specs

Acer Aspire 5542 £349.99

Processor: AMD Turion Dual Core M500 2.2GHz
    RAM: 4GB
    Hard Drive: 640GB
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium
    Screen: 15.6" display
    Optical Drive: DVD Super-Multi
    Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200
    Bluetooth: No
    Notebook Camera: 0.3MP Webcam

Please please tell me your thoughts, opinions negative and positive and if there is a better laptop on the market than this to power such games like Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 then fire away.

Big Thanks!!!:D

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The spec you have chosen will be okayish but personally I would not recommend any laptop however good its spec is for gaming. This is because of obvious reasons such as laptops overheat very easily and generally cant match up to a proper desktop pc.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Laptop overheating is not always an issue... my Dell M6500 has a Core i7 and an ATI FirePro M7740 which results in a very good gaming laptop, and I can play recent FPS games on this, most of them with full details, even with the laptop sitting on my lap. No overheating problems on this particular machine, but then again it has two large fans in the bottom/rear.

A desktop is nevertheless going to be a better solution when it comes to gaming, especially if you can reuse existing hardware (PSU, screen, mouse/keyboard... all those things add cost to a laptop as well).

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

A gaming laptop for £350, those two requirements together does not compute :lol:

That's more or less comparable to the integrated Intel HD Graphics chipset (see here). However saying that, seeing the system requirements for RCT3, you don't exactly need a gaming system.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security