Best current Microsoft SQL qualification?

Discussion in 'SQL Exams' started by Inspiration, May 10, 2009.

1. Inspiration

Inspiration Bit Poster

I've asked about this subject in the distant past but I wanted to ask now as things will have changed and so have my goals. Plus I've twice asked and twice not acted, but I do appreciate any replies or advice.

I'm interested in obtaining a qualification to back up the last five years of my working life.

A bit of background:

For the past five years I've had a database role. This has involved setting up an SQL 2000 based database that is used by 40 people all day every day. The front end is Access/VBA. I've set it up and supported it on my own from day 1.

I want to get a qualification to my name that says while I have the experience, I've also proven I have the knowledge with a Microsoft Certification. This is to help me, should I need to find another job.. which is quite possible in the current climate.

I also have quite a lot of server knowledge. I've been messing with Microsoft servers for roughly 12 years now. Previous to my DB role I was in hosting support.

When I last looked into this I settled on MCDBA, but I was aware that an exam was about to expire and new certifications had arrived.

So my question is.. what route should I go down?

I've noticed this MCTS: SQL 2005 ... is this a stand alone qualification or part of a bigger one?

And also, do MCSA etc still exist and are they still work getting?

I appreciate a lot of this is covered on the MS site and on the forums. I'm just a little paranoid about going down the wrong route.

Any advice would be much appreciated (again).

Thank you.

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

It sounds like you have the right background for both certs. MCSA probably has more recognition but as you know it is not DB related.

MCTS are the newer certs, MCTS certs can stand on their own, they can require one or two exams. In some cases they can be topped up to higher certs like MCITP or MCPD.

Heres another example :-
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcitp/dbadmin/default.mspx

Its all explained on the MS training website. Theres also various blogs by Trika and others explaining their rationale over cert path changes. The MCDBA (IMHO a far better sounding cert title) is indeed dead, still thats progress...

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It depends on what role/route you are currently going down work wise.

Yes & yes... The MCTS: SQL 2k5 (70-431) is a stand alone cert, plus it can be used for the following:

MCSA (as elective)
    MCSE (as elective)
    MCITP: Database Administrator (the 2005 version)
    MCITP: Database Developer (the 2005 version)

Yes, especially since server 2003 is still supported (thru extended support) for the next 5 years. And the technology itself will be still used after that.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

5. Inspiration

Inspiration Bit Poster

Thank you for the replies. All very helpful and will help me decide what to do next. :) Thank you.