Best Crimbo ever

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Aureilius, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Aureilius

Aureilius Byte Poster

Well, I must be doing something right. :)

Mrs. A asked me what I wanted for Xmas, I gave the usual moody reply 'bah, humbug'

In a social enineering coup, she started asking about the comp..

Anyway, after passive interrogation, I've been told to expect

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...fhjcflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&page=Product&sku=701526

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/454365

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/336185

(X2)

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...-25099&fm=undefined&sm=undefined&tm=undefined

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...-25014&fm=undefined&sm=undefined&tm=undefined

How cool is that??

I thinky Mrs. A wants me to get the job (or at least the certs)..Ahh :lovly

If any of that warrants a second look, I'd really appreiciate the input.

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Blimey! That is a good gona be a good Xmas! :D

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Wow! What a nice Christmas present. :D

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well arent u the lucky one...saying that last year I got a 16x DVD writer for Xmas from my ex-fiancee (when I was with her obviously) and for my birthday 7 months earlier she got me an Epson CX3200 all in one and got her mum to buy me a PC game called Hitman Contracts and on top of that she also got Indepenence Day and Minority Report on DVD for me...one thing about women guys they always listen to you when u think they are not...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Bloody hell, Aureilius - was it not you (apologies if it wasn't) that was giving it "bah humbug" about Crimbo just last week or so ? :blink

Lucky bleeder !!! :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

a packard bell and a bunch of stuff from pc world?
    it will be the worst boxing day on record then
    :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

now I didnt wana say anything for fear of wrecking our friends Xmas...but Phoenix does have a point mate...I mean its nice your missus is getting this lot...but remember its PC World...thats all I am saying...

8. Aureilius

Aureilius Byte Poster

Heh. Yeah, that was really the point of the thread :)

I'm not too tech savvy on what is & is not adequate as a decent setup.

Strictly speaking, the networking stuff & the second comp would be "for the house", the upgrades would be for my current comp.

It's an e-machine with 256mb of ram & onboard graphics, so I'm thinking the upgrades & the new comp would be fine.

I'd appreicite any feedback I can get on what is a decent bit of wireless networking hardware though.

And Jakamoko, yep, that was I :)

I still do the Crimbo bit for the kids but, for myself, I've found that having the whole family in one place at such a stressful time of year & with drink flowing freely, rarely yeilds a good result

Maybe I'm just a jaded old git though, dunno :)

ps: Way to knock the wind outta those sails phoenix :dry

Just kidding :)

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

You will find i call it how i see it mate :)
    a trait some despise, but many learn to appreciate

Basically the belkin kit is generally good wireless gear, however pcworld prices wont be anywhere near the best

packard bell (and emachines for that matter) are well known for being piles of crap, pcworld sell them because they are cheap, there is ofcourse a reason for this, everything balances out in the end, and in it you really do get what you pay for

saying that, very few places can compete on price for a full system like that, no matter how crap it might be

not saying you have neccasarily had problems with emachines/packard bell, just laying it down for you

check our hardware supplier thread for where to get good deals from

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

i'm with phoenix on this one. packard bell sucks. and i should know, i worked there as a technician. plenty of work of course ( :twisted: ), but i wouldn't even recommend a pb to my worst enemy.

11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I know what you mean d-faktor...I have used a PB PC when my parents bought out first ever PC back in 1997...and boy did we have problems...I wont get into the story but it was a nightmare and all I will say now is never again!!! just glad I can know build PCs meself...