Best Certification Path for the Circumstances?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Killian, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

Hey all,

Sorry if you get asked this alot but I'm not too sure where else to try. I've finally managed to hold a decent conversation with my employer about my CPD and he's told me the direction he's looking to move us in.

I work in a Secondary School and am currently an IT Technician. I have no formal IT qualifications other than a Double A Grade A-Level in ICT and have just begun studying CCNA as the school is a Cisco Academy and so can do the course for free.

He's said he wants us to go down the route of a managed service and possibly even start offering IT training courses to staff and the general public. He'd like us to get the certification and whatnot to obviously lead these kinds of things but he hasn't actually said what they are.

I've done a bit of research and keep coming across the Microsoft IT Academy but I'm not entirelely sure how I'd go about beginning on that road and if it's even the best one to take.

Could anyone give me some advice? It would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

K

Certifications: See sig.
    WIP: Everything!
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

For MS certifications, you can become a MCT or a MCAS Instructor (depending if it's technical or "business" class of certifications that you'll be offering). These are Microsoft's own trainer certifications, you will have to be certified in what you'll be teaching, so decide what you'll be doing and then study and take (pass) the exams.

However as I understand it (as I was teaching MS courses for a few years now) you will have to do the PTTLLS, as the minimum teaching qualification. MS courses would fall under further education. This is a basic teaching course for teaching further education and it is a requirement under the "The Further Education TeachersÂ’ Qualifications (England) Regulations 2007". For more information, see the Institute for Learning.

If you're also going to become a managed service (I assume by that, you're going to be providing IT Services to other organisations), then maybe something along the lines of the NVQ in Management, ITIL, some sort of Project Management cert (Project+, ISEB Project Management, Prince2, etc), as well as the required technical certs.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I think you need to ask your boss to be more specific about the job roles he thinks he needs to be able to provide these services. It sounds to me as if he's still very much in the initial planning stage.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

My thoughts exactly, I wonder if he knows anything about IT or whats involved ? It sounds like he will need to recruit a number of skilled individuals to me.

5. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

Thanks for the advice so far. Already found a lot of useful info.

I think this is probably where he's heading; particularly the MCAS so will check that out.

I have a meeting with him on Monday so will try to clarify things then. He's asked me to put together some kind of proposal in the meantime then so think I'll look into what Wagnerk suggested.

He comes from a background where he was head of IT (though he doesn't have any IT qualifications; just managerial.....) so I think he has an idea of what he wants. The problem is whether he understands that there's not a jack of all trades who can do everything with just a few courses under his/her belt.

Will clarify on Monday and hopefully that will point me in a more focused direction.

Certifications: See sig.
    WIP: Everything!