Best certification for webdesigning?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Riaz, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Riaz

Riaz Bit Poster

Hi guys,
    I want to ask if anyone knows of a certification that is widely recognized everywhere (globally) for webdesign. I know there is CIW but I'm unsure if many are actually aware of it. I'm just starting out by learning webdesiging languages like XHTML, CSS and php but would like a certification to validate that I have the skills. Apart from CIW I havent been able to find any. :cry:

Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCP (70-270)
    WIP: CIW Web Design
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

IMHO the best 'cert' for web-design is a good portfolio! That will get you noticed far more than any piece of paper.

If you need a piece of paper then the various levels of CIW are probably the best option.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

What he said.

The best cert for web designing is the ability to design webs.

8)

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Apart from the CIW program, you may want to take a look at Adobe range of certs (ACA) for Photoshop, Dreamweaver & Flash.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Riaz

Riaz Bit Poster

Hmmm this makes sense :) thanks all for the advise...i'll learn and probably look into some project to have a good portfolio. i needed some sort of direction. now i know what to do :)

6. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

you could look at graphic design as that goes hand in hand, what you looking at in web design fount end back end or both. So you going to have to lean code - not Dreamweaver

I started in night school desktop publishing, Then did a HDN HDC graphic design/electronic media.

Online portfolio & CD to send out - make an live on CD would learn director now owned by Adobe.

reread. - looks as you doing backend only then

could have a look at Macromedia ultradev to get a taste of ASP PHP

Defunct 2005 :(

7. daveenigma

daveenigma New Member

You should also look at php/apache/mysql. A good way to start this is with a CMS system such as Joomla..

I've done a bit of web design for small business/organisations in my spare time and Joomla offers a lot of flexibility, particularly if coding isn't your strong point.

8. Riaz

Riaz Bit Poster

Thanks for the advise everyone, does anyone know where to get a project from to actually build a portfolio. I am doing self study and my book doesnt have any big projects or anything. if anyone knows of any site or book that i can also refer to. I am just learning HTML, XHTML, CSS and then PHP and Javascript. Thats what my book covers.

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

To build a portfolio do some designs and record them, print out the designs and put in a folder and vola you you have a port folio :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I like to call it "ePortfolio+". 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. wiki

wiki New Member

hy guys, just checking a few details of an advent course i'm thinking of starting.

i've checked the company, and they are not "con artists" although some of their claims may be very rose tinted.

looking at your forum there is a mixed opinion, but most seem to be happy with the training.

the last piece of the puzzle for me would be whether the qualification is worth its salt.

CIW foundation through to master
    ACP in dreamweaver and flash

could someone let me know if there ok? thanks guys!!!!!!!