Best Books For MCSE 2003?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Andrew_P, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Andrew_P

Andrew_P Bit Poster

Hi All,

I am no way near starting this yet as I still have potentially A+, Network+, MCDST to do but I am just wondering what everyone thinks on the best set of books to use. I am again thinking when/if i come to do this I will use CBT's and resource books as well as VM Ware :).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0735622906/203-8435986-0193512?v=glance&n=266239&s=books&v=glance

Does the training kit provide all the necessary books which is needed?

Cheers

Certifications: None at present
    WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The Training kit will provide you will the basic amount of knowledge that you need, but it is also important to remember that you must be able to get hands on with the product, and extend your learning through other sources, as no one source is ever enough. In my experience MS Press books teach you enough to become familliar with the material, but you need soemthing else to go for the exams.

It is also important to take into account wether or not you enjoy reading MS's style of books, as they tend to be very dry yet factually correct. Some people prefer light hearted humor in their reading, with MS Press you get none of this!

8)

3. Andrew_P

Andrew_P Bit Poster

Is there any other books out there what you guys reccoemend other than the MS Press Books? :)

Certifications: None at present
    WIP: A+
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Different people have different prefered books for each of the exams, it is difficult to find a single publisher that is recommended for them all. 8)

5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I use the MS Press books.. i find them very professional BUT i also used the Sybex versions of my exams too.. found them a little strange and have much less info than the MS Press versions... No matter which exam guide you get you always need extra reference books like the Server 2003 Inside Out to refer to for extra info.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I agree with Si and Zimbo on this one.
    I find MS press very good. I also like to read *technical* books that are pleasurable to read (i find i read them quicker) so you might end up buying several, such as Osbourne, Dummies and Sybex.
    I always read the reviews on Amazon; you do get a sensible one inbetween the * i read the book in 10 minutes and understand everything*
    I have bought the core pack you linked too and the resource kit.
    I have also invested about £500 in an actionpack, machines, a hub, KVM switch and cabling to have a *real* network to help me with my job and gain MCSE.
    I hope this helps and you can make sense of this post, i have had a few big bottles of Becks.....:morebeer

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT