Best book for VB.NET 2005

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by greatchap, Apr 17, 2006.

1. greatchap

greatchap Bit Poster

Hello Everyone,

I am a Visual Basic 6 programmer. I finished my masters degree in IT and found out that .NET is what rules now. I was always into vb6 and didnt learn .net yet.

I was told that C# is great new language and i have been reading book Begining Visual C# 2005 for last one - 2 months.

Though the book is good and i did learn several things about new lang C#, i recently got a medium size project which i have to develope in .NET.

I though if i develope it in c# it will take a lot of time. Since i am a vb6 programmer i think i should start with VB.NET.

So i hope i made the right decision???

Moreover can anyone suggest me great books for Visual Basic 2005.

The 2 books which i have in mind is -

1. Begining Visual Basic 2005
    2. Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 step by step

can anyone recommend me a great book for vb6 developer to goto vb.net.

Thanks,
    GR

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

*BUMP* 8)

3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hi.

Depends on what you're used to. It's easy to migrate form VB6 to VB.NET, but C# is often referred to as the language of choice for programming and development.
    Of course, the great thing about the .NET framework is that it doesn't matter what language you use, you can even have several people working on the same project using different languages.
    So pick whichever you prefer or have most experience in.
    The only difference between the exams is the language which the code examples are displayed in, there is a seperate exam for each language.
    The new 2005 developer exams only have one exam and you need to select the language you use at the start.

Many books on the subject contain examples in both VB.NET and C#. The principles are the same whichever you use.
    If you're planning on going for a certification like MCAD or MCSD, I would suggest that you look for books that focus on the exam objectives rather than the language. Search Amazon for '70-305' etc, rather than 'VB.NET'.

I have used the MS Press books which I found really good, Preplogic is pretty good, but it is a sizeable manual and SAMS Kick Start is good if you want to cut out a lot of the waffle.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. greatchap

greatchap Bit Poster

Thanks for info dude.

i will stick with VB.NET for the moment. And regarding books i am not looking to give MCAD or MCSD at the moment. Just looking for a book to learn VB.NET.

Someone suggested that a book Mastering Visual Basic 2005 by Evangelos Petroutsos is a good one.

Any views on that.

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

What a fantastic name! Sounds like something from the Fast Show, now he's writing computer books.
    Scorchio!

Don't tell anyone, but I've got ASP.NET and VB.NET for dummies here somewhere...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD