Belated Hello Greetings

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by bmurray2005, Sep 9, 2006.

1. bmurray2005

bmurray2005 Bit Poster

it would appear that i forgot to say 'hi' so i'll say it now
    Hi.
    now what i need to know is...is £600 a good price to pay to do A+ & Network+ certification courses. exam costs are extra.:eek:
    this is through www.icslearn.co.uk i know they give an ics diploma if i choose not to do the exams but im certain this is probaby worth less than toilet paper.

iv had my visits from computeach and nITlc and decided not to go with them.

any advice will be read.

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome - however belated! :biggrin

It seems to me that 1) This is a distance learning offer and 2) your money gets you a learning CD and access to a forum of similar students.

Viewed coldly like that I'd suggest that you would do better by just buying the books recomended in the sections here and using this as the forum.

BTW - I take it that that £600 is for *each* exam, not both?

Edit: Having checked your previous post - I think you'll find that my suggested route will allow you to buy lots of beans with the money saved! :p

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. bmurray2005

bmurray2005 Bit Poster

i trust, then, that you would be surprised when i tell u the £600 is for BOTH courses.
    having said that, am i to understand that i can read some books then toddle on over to my local prometric centre and register myself for an exam? sounds too good to be true.

i can say i have 'aquired' many many many books on the subject of A+. and what i believe to be previous versions of both exams needed to pass the A+.
    the books are of the pdf variety and were loaded on to my pc via the down method. one is by michael meyers and is 111pages and another is by a group calling themselves sybex and is 900 pages. both are dated around the 2001 mark and refer to accompanying cd's which i do not have.
    are there more up to date books?
    am i in with a better chance reading 900 pages than 111?
    if i go to my local independant pc repair shop and offer my services for free at weekends will i get a punch up the knickers?

i apologise in advance to anyone and everyone who has been through all this and cant be bothered with amateur hour.

4. hbroomhall

That's better! I suspect that it was a 'special offer', as the link you gave had a price of about £500+ for *each* exam!
    Essentialy - yes. That's what I did. However, just reading books isn't usualy enough - you need to read round the subject, and get practical experience (see below).

Yes - those are somewhat out-of-date. A+ is now on the 2003 objectives, and N+ on 2005.
    This rather depends on you - but the more reading you do on the subject the better informed you will be.
    I'd doubt you'd get assaulted! :biggrin But you may find that they will take you on as an assistant. You'd start by making the tea, but as you gain experience you would find yourself doing far more!

We all had to start somewhere! Good luck!

Harry.

5. bmurray2005

bmurray2005 Bit Poster

the course is referred to as IT Career Starter and comes in at 699 to start but when i phoned up about it i could get down to about 600 depending on the amount of deposit i could put put down.

part of the discount comes from not getting any of the toolbags supplied when taken individually

6. hbroomhall

Ah! I missed that bit!

Harry.

7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009