Being the only IT person...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by reverb, Sep 12, 2010.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Well, you've got us. :biggrin

Ummm.....wait a minute.....:unsure

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Pssst... I'll let you in on a little secret: that's why we have jobs. What you see as a problem is our reason for employment.

A properly functioning network needs few - if any - techs to support. Once you've got it running right... well, then what?

Nonsense. You've got a whole online community to discuss things with.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

+1 also nobody to help persuade management when they really dont get it and cannot understand why you havent got to something because your firefighting etc.. and they really dont have a clue how long it takes and what the general job involves :(

In a school, your not really one of anyone just there! Nobody understands what your on about, only the basics of so I completely agree

With me its like that plus i'm undervalued it seems, im in an education environment so managers are just ex-teachers.

Pros and cons like said.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
    Certifications: CCNA | HND | 70-646
  4. Adzmobile

Adzmobile Nibble Poster

Hello!

I thought this was fairly relevant to myself as I have been in a IT contract for around 9 months. Also hello to the IT community as i've never really posted anything before..

I think it is absolutely fantastic being on your own, simply because the amount of experience you gain is incredible and also it looks very impressive on your CV. In my last company (a charity) they had around 50 offices and 500 users. I was managing all the sites as the previous IT team had been dismissed by the management.

I was required to do everything from daily tasks to usual support and project work. I later on got assistants when doing the IT migration and anti virus rollouts..

BTW previous to this job, I have only been in IT for 1.5 years so it was really scary doing this with such little experience.

I think the main advice i can give you anyone is to be logical in your thinking and when you do something do it right 100% even if it takes longer because 1 - people will appreciate you much more for it and 2 - it saves time in future correcting that problem again.

I also think with any situation/problem if you can break down the task into smaller bits instead of thinking of it as one massive task then that will definately help.
    I did work very hard around 60 hour weeks while i was at the company but the fact that you come into a company and given that level of responsiblity and a opportunity to turn things around i think you should take to full advantage.

I would say dont worry about missing out on banter and things... take the opportunity because its very worthwhile and rewarding.

:D

Certifications: Commvault Administrator, CCNA, ITILv3, CCA for XenApp 6, CCAA for XenApp 6.5, CCA for XenDesktop 5, CCA for NetScaler 9.2, CCA for XenServer 6,VMware VCP5, VSTP 5, HP SMB Storage, Citrix Certified Enterprise Engineer (CCEE), EMCISA, VCAP-DCA
    WIP: DCUCI
  5. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

i'm in the same boat too, i work for a local motorcycle shop and i'm the only pc savvy person here, that's why i started studyong for my a+ in the first place. I am in charge of our website (never done one before), all support stuff (i.e printer faults and general software / hardware based problems), upgrades and keeping the P2P network running (i had to set it up with no networking knowledge at all!). but i managed it and have been doing it for 2.5 years and it's great. i only wish i didn't have to do the van driving, mots and serving customers all as well ! oh well it's never dull :-) would like to move on when i get my final A+ test done and get fully certified as there's not much chance of progression.

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon