Being the only I.T guy in Branch office job.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by genderdude, Nov 8, 2011.

1. genderdude

genderdude New Member

I have got a interview for a Junior Engineer at a branch office.

They said I will be there onsite by myself, but will get help from people in head office its just I will be there on my own.

What are the pros and cons of a role like this?

Is it good?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  2. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

I think I would enjoy it personally as it means you have to physically fix all the issues, which is a great way to learn. Of course one downside is that if a major issue crops up that you just can't fix then it may look bad, but then if they are only putting one junior on site then they must know that there is a possibility of that occuring.

When works slow if you are on your own then you should be able to do pretty much as you please, learning at your desk etc, i'm sure there will be things to be built for the office, servers, pc's, maybe some cabling etc.

Sounds like quite a good role to me, depends on the workload of course though and how confident you are to be able to do it with only phone/e-mail support backing you up 99% of the time!

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Sounds like a good role, i'd jump straight into it.

You'll probably it'll be a small user base if it's only you thats required on site, sounds like your main systems, servers, switches etc can be managed remotely, except for hardware installs etc.

I'd quite like to be in a role like that, but my line of work doesn't really allow with SCCM, as it's aimed at larger companies. I just like the thought of being able to fix all issues, and do them my way!

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  4. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

A word of caution, it sounds ok but it vastly depends on the people in the branch office you are supporting. Is it a new role that's been created or did the last guy leave, and if so why?

I know of companies, particularly in the financial sector, where the in house IT guy seems to just get abuse as he acts as a point where users can vent frustrations at. I'm not saying this is the case here, in fact I'm sure it's not but make sure the HQ are able to back you up properly.

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  5. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

I used to do a similar role for 18 months or so, supporting several remote sites based at a primary office. Whilst it started out good, as there was tons to sort out as the previous employees had left it in a bad state, it soon got very boring and soul destroying!

Get in, soak up as much experience as you can, and move on.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

This....

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs