Being fat affects studying?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by jo74, Sep 10, 2009.

1. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

Does being fat, and a lack of exercise, affect studying; concentration, mental stamina?
    I've put on a few pounds :oops: and I have been running out of steam, though it could be advancing age :(

So, what do my fellow fatties think :D?

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yes, it does.
    I've spent the last 5 years in a desk job, and it just piles on unless you do something about it.
    Sound of body, sound of mind.

It's really hard to get back into exercise if you're 'advancing of age', but it really does make a difference.

I've cut down on drink and got back into exercise, which I always used to do in the old days.
    It works wonders for your concentration!

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

A walk in the fresh air before any heavy study session helps ! :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

To be honest im not fat at all but when i had an op to put a tube in my abdomen i had to stop exercise for a long time. By rights im not supposed to play football because of my blood pressure being so high. Anyway im glad i do the sport and other exercise because ive noticed a lot of change in me. Mood swings for one, seem to have lifted, i feel happier and have more energy than people who are on dialysis, but i also eat decent meals, i try to cook from fresh and avoid takeaway food.

If you get the time, exercise that will help, how do you get to work, can you walk or even cycle??? What about work do they offer a subsidised gym?? Youl notice a difference in a week or two if you do something, your mood will be better and youll feel more alert, but you also have to keep on top of it.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  5. xrchris

xrchris Bit Poster

I have to say I feel mentally exhilarated and refreshed for a couple of days after hard mountain biking at the weekend so there must be something in it.

Certifications: HNC Computing (Software Development)
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Whaaat? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. dino66uk

dino66uk Nibble Poster

Ive just recently joined a gym, ive been goin for about 3 weeks now. And my concentration levels have rocketed.
    I can say that going to the gym has improved a lot for me :p

Certifications: A+ CCENT
    WIP: ICND 2
  8. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Work hard play hard! is my motto!

I work and study a fair bit so at the weekend I like to inhibit the growth of new brain cells :D

Saying that I'm no longer at my fighting weight after 10 years of working/studying :(

I don't think weight is linked to mental agility but could possibly be linked to your motivation levels . . . .

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I do no exercise at all. Can't stand it - it bores me to f***ing tears. I'd rather be in the boozer or vegetating. Doesn't affect my performance at work, my studying, or anything else come to that.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I'd second that.

But I'd also second Zeb's on the boozer.

Grab your books, walk to a pub, and study there :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'm slightly overweight - 5' 10" and 205 lbs... but I stay mentally sharp. I don't seem to have a problem running out of energy - I can usually get by on 5 hours sleep. I'm I run, but only when I can find the time... which is very occasionally.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

i would say wihthout a doubt having good fitness levels is good for all the bodies "systems".

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP