Being Asked

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by westernkings, Oct 27, 2008.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

How often are people asked (in an IT situation) to bring their certificates of education with them to Interviews ?

Truth be told I am worried that in a few years, the fact I don't actually have my ceritificates will come back to haunt me.

I lost my GCSE certificates, my Recent College Diploma I didn't go back to get my results, I rang up and they told me what I achieved, I just never went back to "get" whatever it is they give you (A keyring ? a fish ? A peice of paper ? I have no idea)

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I haven't been asked for these in many years. But then I'm getting on a bit!

The only things I've been asked about is experience, for which it is somewhat hard to produce a piece of paper!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I've always kept a folder with all my certificates and anything else appropriate to my skills (testiminials etc) and I take that to interviews with me.

Is that sad ? ! :p

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

So far I've been asked to bring my academic and professional certs with me to all but 1 interview in the last 2 years (I've been to about 5 IT Manager interviews).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

only once have i been asked to prove my certs which i had to share my microsoft transcript so they could view it before i had the interview

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Never. They shouldn't have to - after all, you can provide electronic verification of your credentials. Anyone can print up a certificate, but you can't cheat electronic verification through the vendor themselves.

...honestly, what kind of respectable IT company would ask that you provide paper documentation? :rolleyes: :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I keep all my certificates in 2 folders, one folder is what i usually use for interviews the other is teh rest of them just in case i need them. Both folders are on my book case so i can find them with ease and select the ones i want. I have been asked several times for my certs, including my GCSE's (school exams for those in teh States). Soem companies want proof of all certificates right back to school days, others only want to see the latest relevant ones and otehr just arent too bothered and take your word that you are qualified. But its always better to go armed just in case.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  8. Queeg

Queeg Bit Poster

Been to, must be about 6 IT job interviews. Always brought all my certificates with me, yet never once asked to produce them :eek:

Certifications: MCTS, MCDST, A+, Network+
  9. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I was never asked to produce my A+ in the whole one IT interview I've been to... wonder why :rolleyes:

Nah, my boss always made it clear attitude and experience were the key, certs didn't matter a whole bunch to her hiring me.

But I do keep all my certs, including GCSE and A Levels, and any testemonials I've had in my ROA folder (best place for it - that's why they gave you one!)

For sh*ts and giggles, I still have a babysitting course certificate I earned when I was thirteen. Though I doubt anyone would let me look after small children (or indeed any children) these days :rolleyes: :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  10. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

better prepared then to go to a interview, if they ever ask for it.
    to be honest, I have not ever been asked for any certificates to any interview I have gone too. like everyone here says, they take your word for it, which sounds very risky if you ask me :eek:

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  11. westernkings

SEE I DIDNT EVEN GET AN ROA

When the hell was I supposed to get that folder ? I thought it wasn't even given out anymore.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Never, but then I've never been to any IT interviews.:oops:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. BosonMichael

If you go to an interview, be extra prepared... alert the employer that paper certificates can be easily counterfeited, and let them know that they can use electronic verification methods instead - most have no idea it's available. And, naturally, have the links/codes readily available to validate your certifications. :) You never know... they might just be impressed! ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  14. westernkings

Or better, when you call to arrange the interview, ask if it will be neccessary to bring along qualification certs etc

15. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

lol. Ow, don't shout. I got given mine in my first year of high school, so when I was twelve - 1995. It's not as if I got it recently :rolleyes: :oops:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  16. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Never been asked for academic or professional certs in an interview
    and never bring them either

never been asked for electronic confirmation either
    and will never supply them

If you distrust your candidates from day one, your not the place for me, you can do your own verification if required, but don't you dare treat me like a liar to my face before I've even decided to work for you.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  17. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

if I go to an interview I clearly state on my CV that references and qualifications can be produced if required, no one has ever asked me to.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  18. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Never been asked to show any of my qualifications in any of the dozens of interviews, I wouldn't in general advise carrying them around as you are likely to lose or damage them.

Electronic verification seems sensible and I offer this option, however few employers take it up.

I totally agree with the sentiment, I had one interview where the employer insisted I was a liar because I took a beta and he said the exam was not available on that date. I pointed out he was wrong because it was a 3-4 hour beta with 3-4 times normal number of questions so if anything it proved I was genuine, I pointed out that he could ignore my certs and I still had 12+ years experience and a degree, but the whole interview had gone bad by then.

So you see sometimes certs definitely can lose you a job ! :blink

19. damo101

damo101 Byte Poster

The only one I've been asked for is a Disclosure Scotland one. Have them all scanned and kept in a folder in my online mail so I can get a copy of them handy enough. I suppose tho if they really want to be sure you have them they'd contact the exam body to check up on you rather than want to see a potentially photoshopped cert tho?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation and Practitioner (S&R)
    WIP: OU Cert in Web Design
  20. BosonMichael

How can they do their own verification if you do not provide the authorization codes for them to do so? :blink