Being a 'team player' or not?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by millsie, Aug 24, 2012.

1. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

Just need to have a vent!

I feel like im being a bit singled out at work at the moment, where I thought everything was rosy there it seems not is all it seems!

I have had my team ethic questioned by my manager, basically one of my co-workers not pulling his weight and one small email from me later advising im not taking the blame for him and my team ethic has been shredded!

I dont think its fair and up until now I feel I have functioned very well in the team. Its not easy being the on the shift, there is a natural division between the shift guys and day guys.

Also anytime there is a **** up on one of the networks and I am on shift, its always me that gets hauled in for a 'debrief' not the other guy. If we are a 'team' there should be a collective responsibility surely and we should all have to have a debrief. Im feeling like theres something going on behind the scenes, things have changed and its upsetting as its a great place to work but I feel like im going backwards rather than forwards!

Anyone else ever have this in their job? Feeling singled out?

Millsie :(

Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yep had similar issues, I once got taken on a team building event a week before being made redundant.

I've seen stuff that would make Alan Partridge blush...

You need to focus on your soft skills as well as your tech skills, raise the issues you've made politely with your boss, try and build a better working relationship with your boss.

What does the other guy do that you don't ? Is he more easy to work with ? Does he take part in work social events ? Is he on the works football team ? Does he share interests with your boss ? Is he related to anyone else at work ? etc..

3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Do you work as a Senior tech compared to others?

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

Yeah I will be having a chat next week, seems ages away though and Im just stewing now!
    Basically the other guy is newer than me, far too laid back for a NOC operative in my opinion as in, when issues arise he takes ages to look into things and doesnt believe things need to get done 'now'. He's no more social than me with work and as far as I know not related to anyone. I cant see how it would be favoritism on his part, more just me maybe not understanding the team ethic there. How do you be part of a team you dont feel part of, if that makes sense? What I mean to say is, there does not seem to be a strong team as it stands with or without me!

- - - Updated - - -

No, not senior, only been there 10 months. Although I am newer than the other guy, and was asked to keep an eye on him, which makes it even more confusing?!

5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I see, reason why I asked if you're senior is because usually the senior guys are expected to the most responsible, not to say that you're not responsible, you seem like you're a good tech, its just that when it comes to heat, it will come down to you, happened to me in the past too. I would suggest that if you have a conversation in regards to work ethic/performance with your colleague, try and keep it on paper too, like you did in an email. At the end of the day, if you did the right thing and you did your job well, you have nothing to worry about.

Also, if you are to keep an eye out on this colleague, he might not feel like sharing feelings or thoughts with you because you're above him in chain of command, kind of like maintaining a professional relationship with your boss. Now if you are having issues with your boss, this should be addressed ASAP, the longer you wait the worst it gets. A lot of times its a matter of miss-communication, he said this you said that and before we know it, it becomes completely something else.

There were times where my ex boss would give me a hard time for something I have no control over simply because he did not know the situation... so I ended up walking into his office, closing the door and discussing the matter, after the meeting, everything was cleared and we moved on. Business is business, try not to take it personal, just be honest, continue to work hard and you'll be fine.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
    LukeP likes this.
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Good and spot on advise given already. I would like to add though that this could be a good thing as maybe your boss is trying to see how you take constructive critism.

On the other hand don't feel victimised or left out, keep being a team player with a positive attitude. Ultimately, I believe your boss knows you're a hard worker and dependable staff hence the reason he gives you the edge over your colleague.

One thing though is to not knock your colleague in front of the rest of your team or boss however how tempted. The old adage when pointing the fingers the rest of the fingers are facing you.

When you get a minute read through this blog post Focus on Reality | Jeffrey Snover's blog

Keep on working hard and being positive even in challenging circumstances such as these as it would help mold your character and separates the men from the boys.

Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  7. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I might not be the person to work with but if you're on my team and you under-perform be prepared to take **** from me, there and then. I have no time for slackers and I don't go to work every day to make friends. I make it clear to everyone I work with. Deliver or get out of my way.

Thing is that as long as you're the best asset on the team, you're virtually un-sackable. I say virtually because there are of course limits to how far you can take it. Keep doing the good work and don't worry about not developing friendly ties with the rest of the team. They don't pay your wages. Tell your boss you've taken the criticism on board and will work on it.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
    WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  8. TheMagician

TheMagician Nibble Poster

I'm interested in this "small e-mail" as that is the reason your card has been marked by the powers that be. What did you write to this person that made them go to the boss?

Certifications: MCSA 2012, MCITP: EA, SA, ITIL
  9. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Ive had had 'constructive criticism' delivered to me in good and bad ways. It hits your self esteem but at the end of the day it makes you stronger and you learn from your mistakes.

Ive had people in my immediate team and in the same group who don't deliver as much as me and yeh its flippin annoying and you just want to moan about. I think the key is to just take it and let it wash over you. Maybe they have better soft skills maybe they dont but eventually they will be found out one of you will move o.

Just make sure you have everything you do down on 'paper', all the evidence of the work you do or get the system in place if you dont. Then at least you have that if things go wrong and your department + bosses will knwo who is the high performer.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes tell us more :) !!

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  10. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

Well, it wasnt actually sent to my colleague. Rather, it was sent to the team leader in response to their email asking why work hadnt been completed sent to both of us. Essentially I wasnt willing to accept the blame for a job I was not part of that hadnt been completed so my response was as such. This obviously hasnt gone down well as ive been blamed for acting in a 'blame' culture rather than working as a team. My point is why should I get the blame for someone else! Anyway I really dont think this has gone down well as this team leader actually seems to be picking up on every small thing I do wrong now and emailing me to advise.

Not sure where to take this now!

11. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Look for a new job. Wait for him to start his 2 weeks' long holiday and on the first day hand you notice in. Pisses them right off!

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
    Jaron78 likes this.