Beginning My Career...

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by free.heron, Oct 31, 2010.

1. free.heron

free.heron Nibble Poster

Hi, I have worked in IT for a number of years.. I started in the web team creating and editing graphics, did that for a few months then jumped into working in the IT Support team providing desktop support. I moved from that to working on the Service Desk (moved for better pay), and now have progressed into a Application support role. What I would really love to do is get into Networking and have a few questions...

• What would be my best way forward?
    • Would it be best that I do a CCENT or should I go for the CCNA?
    • Am I right in thinking that ICND1 consists of Network Fundamentals and Routing Protocols and ICND2 consists of LAN Switching/Wireless and Accessing the WAN?

I was looking at buying a "CCNA Lab" from ebay, its priced at about £135 pounds, I already have the Cisco Press companion guide books - What else would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Certifications: ITIL v3
    WIP: CCENT
  2. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

There is no best way forward...... its up to you. If you have a cisco environment at work then you have your starting point. get used to that and maybe learn the network inside out! this will enable you to see production environments!

I found it very frustrating when i was studying because you learn how it should be done..... but in practise some things are never done how you are taught for varying reasons! i am stuck a little now as i dont have a fully fledged routed cisco network at work!! :-(

I started with ICND1 and then done the ICND2 exam. looking at the ONE CCNA exam, i think i took more in by spreading it over two exams.

ICND1 has switching in aswell and Wan concepts i think.... cant remember exactly but the CISCO website will explain the syllabus.

For the better advice i would wait untill BosonMichael replies as he seems to be quite knowledgable and his opinions are generally fair and to the point and mostly true (im sure someone would disagree with him at some point.

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S, CCDA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Wireless & CCNA Security
    WIP: CCIE V5 (when its out)
  3. free.heron

free.heron Nibble Poster

Hi jonny7_2002, thank you for your reply

unfortunately as I work in Application Support I don't have much dealings with the network side of things... Unless a internal vacancy opens which I don't see that happening for a little while. I guess my best bet is to get CCENT certified and then try and jump jobs before I go for the full CCNA?

aahh ok, I think I'm getting confused between CCNA Discovery and CCNA Exploration

I've searched the forum and find a few helpful posts by BosonMichael, he seems to know his stuff! I look forward to his reply

Thank you for all your help jonny7_2002

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

People disagree with me all the time... which is fine with me. I merely give advice and let people decide what they will. :)

Thank you for the props, Jonny!

Heron, I would guess that it will be pretty difficult to jump from application support straight into network support. Not saying it can't be done... but it'll be difficult. Many people go from app/desktop support to server support, and that usually gives them the opportunity to get their feet wet with networking. It is at this point that I would recommend beginning the ICND1 and ICND2 CCNA path.

If there's any way you can move into a server support role, I would recommend following that path. That will be a far easier path for you than trying to make the jump directly to networking with no Cisco admin experience and a couple of paper Cisco certifications.

So... how do you get into server support? Do you get any opportunities to do any light server admin where you are? If not, I'd recommend making a lateral move to a desktop/app admin job where you can get that light server admin. After you've done that for a while, you'll be ready for a server certification... and then, a full-fledged server admin job, preferably one in which you can support Cisco devices. THEN you'll be in a good position to pursue the ICND1/ICND2 exams... :)

To answer your other two questions:
    I would pursue the two-exam option. I recommend this for the following reasons:
    1) The ICND1 and ICND2 exams together cost as much as the CCNA. Failing one of the smaller exams will be quite a bit cheaper than failing the CCNA!
    2) There will be less to study at one time.
    3) You'll get an extra certification. You do NOT get the CCENT by passing the CCNA exam.

ICND1 covers ALL the stuff you mentioned in your post. ICND2 just goes farther with those topics. For example, both ICND1 and ICND2 cover routing protocols... but ICND1 covers RIP... ICND2 covers OSPF and EIGRP. You can find the exam blueprint on Cisco's Web site.

Hope this helps. :) Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. free.heron

free.heron Nibble Poster

Hi BosonMichael, Thank you for your reply

I use to work in a Desktop/System Support role before I jumped to the company I currently work for and took a step back onto the Service Desk before making the jump to Application Support (I get around abit). As part of the role, I was doing very light server work, patch panel cabling and Installing switches / replacing routers in the comms cabinet. However, I wasn't required to understand the logic behind networking nor have anything to do with router config. What got me interested in networking is seeing the flashing lights and wondering what the hell is going on in the background!

What books/resources would you recommend? I have the CBT Nuggets, and the Cisco Press CCNA Exploration books.

I plan to stay in this job for at least another year, but hopefully I can achieve the CCENT and make the transition into a role that gives me more access to servers and network equipment like you suggested,

Thank you for your help!

6. BosonMichael

Good! If that's the case, you could pursue a server certification, if you had a mind to do so. Many network techs are also responsible for server administration, so having a server certification would help you, in my opinion.

If you are dead set on getting the CCENT/CCNA as soon as possible, I would recommend the Cisco Press and/or Sybex books. I would also recommend getting as much hands-on practice as you can. Real routers and switches are best, but if you can't afford to purchase them, a router simulator (like Boson's NetSim for CCENT or NetSim for CCNA) would be a good, less-expensive alternative.

My opinion on practice exams is quite biased, as I am the lead author for Boson's ExSim MAX products for the CCENT and CCNA exams. I would recommend downloading demos from all of the well-known practice exam vendors and comparing the quality for yourself.

Feel free to ask any further questions! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. free.heron

free.heron Nibble Poster

I was looking at buying a few cisco routers and switches off ebay, for example this...

Ebay: CCNA Lab

... but the model numbers don't mean anything to me at this stage, is there anything i should be reading to get a better understanding of them, and which ones would I need to begin?

Thanks for your help!

8. BosonMichael

I'm bad with spec'ing out Cisco labs - I've always worked at places where I could use real Cisco gear that was relatively up to date. But if you want my opinion, I'd say that the models in those auctions is a bit outdated, as is the IOS installed on them (current IOS is 12.4). And without 16 MB of Flash, you won't likely be able to upgrade the IOS much/any farther. That said, newer devices are going to cost you quite a bit of money, so there's a tradeoff between price and functionality. Hopefully someone else on the forums will provide their opinions as well.

9. free.heron

free.heron Nibble Poster

10. BosonMichael

Yep - anything 12.4 is the latest.

I'd have to search around to see what is different between the 2610 and a 2620... but at first glance, that looks like a good router.

11. antidrip

antidrip Banned

You are going to have a major issue till you figure out what it is you want.

With your background and some studying you can do anything you want.

for me i decided i wanted to work with routers and switchs

I took a ccna boot camp
    watched cbt nuggets videos
    got gns3 live router simulator
    ios images from piratebay

from start to finish i was done with ccna in less than 1 month.
    I went from knowing nothing about routers and switchs to a network engineer in less than 2 months.
    I had a similar background but knew what i wanted to do.
    More jobs and better paying in networking than servers windows or any other specialty network monkey jobs.
    With only ccna and ccda i was getting 10 calls a day from employers.
    And i got offered every job i interview for now. all for 60-70k
    No one in a company can do anything with out a network.
    And every company needs a network.
    Most important thing is finding somthing you love.
    Just so happens the highest payed and esiest to get is for routers and switchs which i love :)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  12. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Don't forget the braindumps!

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  13. antidrip

antidrip Banned

Or be a complete sad loser at life like the guy above.
    ITIL expert Why are you even on this website.

You don't have any IT certifications so you giving advice in a cisco forum is dumb.

I have a CCNA CCDA CCNP CCDP Security +.

Most of the people in here have no actual cisco experience and are not network engineers

I am and very successful so remember who here is actually looking out for you or just there own egos.

14. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

See signature means look at his signature. That's the bit you will see at the bottom of all his posts.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  15. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Hahaha, look at my signature son, no cheating either.

16. antidrip

antidrip Banned

Your still a douche and not a network engineer :)

And no i haven't spend more than 2 minutes looking at any of your posts stats or anything else.

Sorry you live in a poor country guys it explains why your so bitter.

17. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Why so much hate?

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  18. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Let's hug it out antidrip, you can show me your fleet of expensive cars and tell me about the joys of braindumping.