Beginning A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by BrooonAle, Oct 14, 2007.

1. BrooonAle

BrooonAle New Member

With regards to studying for the A+ course, is the basic method to buy one of the recommended books then just study until you think you're ready to sit the exam?

Excuse the question, but I'm just starting out!

Certifications: NVQ 2 Information Technology
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

It is most definately the cheapest way to do the A+.

It may not be the best way for you personally to do the A+, but unless you try you'll never know! :biggrin

3. BrooonAle

BrooonAle New Member

Cheers, I should be alright with that method.

Do I require another cheaper PC to practice on too?

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Generally, the folks here at CF recommend buying Michael Meyers All-In-One A+ Exam Guide and perhaps one other book just for comparison. Getting an inexpensive used PC is also good so you have a machine to practice on without risking your "production" machine (the PC you use for gaming, Internet, email, and so forth).

That said, as Si mentioned, not everyone takes to the self-study route. I tried that a number of years ago, but because I had absolutely no experience with computer maintenance, I couldn't grasp many of the concepts (I was hopeless at IRQs, for instance) and was afraid to even take the cover off the box.

In my case, I took a two year course at my local uni on computer hardware, software, and network support. It gave me the foundation I needed so I could build up from their using self study and applied work experience. It really all depends on how you learn and what process you use to acquire new skills.

You know yourself better than we do. When you want to learn something new, how do you go about it?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

I agree with whats been said.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

I did the Cisco IT Essentials 1 course at a local College to bring my knowledge up to the right standard to pass A+ first time.
    It would also give you a benchmark for you to see how much you already know or dont as may be the case.
    You local TechCollege should be able to offer you more advice or they may even do an A+ course.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Although Trip is too modest to mention it, I would also recommend his book, PC Technician Street Smarts (in addition to Meyers All-in-One). :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hello and welcome to CF! I also agree with what's been said about self studying.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

10. BosonMichael

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Thanks, but I'll ban your buns for a week if you spam like that again...even if it is my site. :wink: :biggrin

12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Whats this "plug-a-minute", you guys on commission? :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  13. BosonMichael

Nah - we joked on another forum (in a mods area) about plugging each others' book, back and forth and back and forth. :D Nnothing we were ever going to seriously do. :)

That said... I *do* absolutely recommend Trip's book for a great "hands-on" addition to Meyers' book. :)

14. BrooonAle

BrooonAle New Member

15. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I agree with Wiz. You just need a machine that you can work on in terms of basic activities such as upgrading RAM, installing PCI cards and the like. Something you can break and fix and break and fix to your heart's content. :wink: