Beginners question

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by rossjc86, Jan 31, 2009.

1. rossjc86

rossjc86 New Member

Hi all!

I'm fairly new to IT certs but have been studying some material for the MCDST tests. I was wondering am I better of studying for 70-620 as this is more to do with vista? Are there a lot of differences between the two? Other than xp and vista?

Probebly a silly question but just asking anyway lol!

Cheers

2. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Hi and welcome.

It sounds like you have never used Vista so i would not suggest trying to get certified on it without some experience of actually using it. I know there are those who are so familiar with XP that they could pass Vista without any real hands on but it sounds like that would not be the case with yourself.

I would suggest carrying on with the MCDST as you are more likely to be familiar with the XP system and once you have passed that, get a copy of Vista and start learning about it. Then, once you feel confident, start studying for the cert.

Personally i would suggest starting with the MCDST anyway as most organisations will be using XP rather than Vista. As previously stated on these forums by those wiser than myself, XP is here to stay and will be supported for a good 5 years to come. Entry level IT jobs would, i believe, consider the MCDST more useful than Vista at the moment.

Hope this helped.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Isn't that enough of a difference? :D

Considering most companies still use XP heavily (and will continue to do so, even after the release of Windows 7), you'd be well-served by getting the MCDST.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Pretty much agree with the above two posts. Go for the MCDST, which is in more demand (I should think) than the Vista eqiv at this point.
    You also have a cert that doesn't expire, and can take the upgrade exam if you want to later :)

5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. rossjc86

rossjc86 New Member

Thanks for the advice guys, very much appreciated! :D