Beginner wants to learn .net/asp and get qualified. Advice needed!

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by lynxe, May 8, 2012.

1. lynxe

lynxe Bit Poster

Hi all,

I have experience with HTML/CSS and have made a few websites and know my way around a computer but when it comes to other programming languages I haven't a clue.

I was advised to learn .net/asp from an employer and I have decided it's what I am going to do.

Can anyone recommend some certs I can get that will get me upto speed and make me look qualified in using them?
    I am finishing my degree in IT computing next year but the .net/asp material is very limited - I have time to kill until then so would like to get learning.

Also how much would it typically cost for a beginner?
    I have a lot of spare time right now so I could be learning for upto 6-7 hours a day if I really wanted to.

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You could do the following (I suggest the study for the MTA certification route, because it is a more structured approach with something to aim for):

Download the following for free: Visual Studio 2010 Express
    Purchase the following books for 2 MTA exams: Software Development Fundamentals and .Net Fundamentals
    Download the free study guides for the required exams from Certiport here

Take the 98-361 and 98-372 MTA exams at your local Certiport testing centre.

Decide where you want to go... Eg Web development, Windows Development, Mobile Development or even Games Development.

Then study for that route :)

As for cost, the software is free as is the study guide. The books are about £30 each, plus you have the cost of the exam(s). So really minimum cost per exam (excluing time) would be about £80-£90, depending on how much the individual charges for the MTA exam.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. lynxe

lynxe Bit Poster

Thanks very much for the info wagnerk, just what I needed.

Sounds like a good plan and I'll get right on it.

4. lynxe

lynxe Bit Poster

Just looking at the exams and see there is 2 version of each, one for VB and c#.

What is the best one to pick, and do those books cover each one or would I need to purchase different books if I only wanted to learn c#? (my friend is telling me to go with c#).

5. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

.NET gives you a choice of what to program in, so you can either have C# or VB.NET (amongst others, like F#, JScript.NET etc). It's a matter of preference what you want to use, but C# seems to be where most jobs are. A friend, who leads a team of programmers working with .NET, has just told me on Skype that might be the best option too.

Don't know about the books, but I am sure a quick google or Amazon search would tell you.

6. lynxe

lynxe Bit Poster

Thanks!

Any idea how long it would take to get those certificates for a complete beginner in those areas?
    Is less than 6 months do-able or are we talking a year atleast?

7. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

All depends how you get on with understanding programming in the language. Programming is very much one of those "you can, or you can't" type things.

Obviously follow the examples in the books, but it would be really useful to do a bigger project. So for example, when we did the .NET framework in Uni, the project was to build a messaging system, a bit like Windows Live Messenger, but in C#, making the right calls, etc.

There are some classic projects - like in Java, you would implement a calculator, as it allows you to do the object oriented things, such as variable casting, inheritance, polymorphism etc. No reason why you can't do something similar in C#.

Once you can program proficiently, then worry about certifications. See the certification as more like a confirmation that you can do some basic level programming in .NET

8. lynxe

lynxe Bit Poster

Great thanks for all the info!

9. lynxe

lynxe Bit Poster

Oh btw - do these certificates need renewed every couple of years like the A+ N+ etc?

10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The MTA's require renewal every 5 years, but by then (hopefully) you'll have the experience and be going for the MCTS and higher certs :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

If you're a complete beginner to programming then you may want to start on something a bit more generic before you tie yourself into a certain language.

I started out with the Open University and did a very good course on object orientation and program design in general.
    Without that, I don't ever think I would have got my head around any of the concepts involved in .net.

I guess for you the downside there will be time, as you can't really hurry an OU course because you have time on your hands.
    The cost though is also pretty good compared to training providers. On average you'll pay about £1000 for an academic year at the OU (including all materials and exams etc) which is pretty good compared to a TP charging between £3000-8000 for a course.

It'll also give you some idea if programming is for you.
    It isn't for everyone.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  12. lynxe

lynxe Bit Poster

Hi guys,
    Old bump here.

So I took JonnyMX advice in the above post and started at the Open Uni.
    I am doing software development course which right now, involves mainly Java (no .net or c#)

I am just talking to someone about a placement and I am now researching the certificates again (even though I won't be doing them for another year yet).
    Do the same certs above still apply to me for .net/c#, or is there newer ones out now - and is the expiry still 5 years?

Thanks!

13. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Last edited: May 1, 2013