Beers in the Conference Room

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by tripwire45, Sep 17, 2003.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

This is a companion piece to my thread "Wish Me Luck" here in the "Jobs" forum. One detail I didn't mention about yesterday's interview was, when I was lead into the conference room for my interview, I looked down at the trash can and noticed the remains of two cartons of 12 packs. Beside the trash was a small tub of water (probably was originally ice) with four bottles of beer in it. Ok gang, this is a Tuesday morning. Maybe on Friday evening after a successful week of business and signing on a few new clients, they cracked open some beers to celebrate...but beers on Tuesday Morning???

I know you guys like your beers and I'm not opposed to tipping one or two back on occasion, but I like to separate business from alcohol. Appearences in business mean a lot. Sure, the offices were pretty unfinished and a little messy, but these guys are trying to save dough by throwing it all into services and product. They meet clients at the client's offices and do their presentation. Still, they knew I was coming and couldn't take out the trash and put the beers in the fridge? Is it just me?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Being a "Real Ale" drinker www.camra.org.uk I like my beer warm.

3. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Trip, how did you feel about the situation as a whole, what was your gut reaction? were they professional enough with you? Does the setup seem stable enough? If it seems a bit flaky you could just treat the jobs as a trial run for them, see how professionaly they treat you and their customers. If it smells wrong treat it as good experience and a bit of spare cash, just don't tie up any hopes and dreams in it.

I've come across people and businesses in this industry in the past running on pure BS, I did my bit as best I could for them, made sure I got paid for my work and made sure I didn't tie my future to them.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I do admit to being disappointed. Since I was delivering mail to a couple of IT shops today, I asked if they'd ever heard of Zial and, if so, what. Neither one had heard of them and said that a lot of outfits pop up...last a year, then disappear. I think you idea is a good one, Phil. They're gonna try me out on these projects and, in this case, the door swings both ways.

Usually, the more I'm around people, the better feel I get for them, so I'm looking forward to spending some time with them next Tuesday. I've even offered to come in on my own time to learn more about wireless (couldn't hurt) and, if they take me up on it, I'll also learn more about them.

I'm playing it cautiously at this point. Thanks for the feedback.

5. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

From reading all of your posts on your current situation, I have to say that your playing it perfectly.

I like your style.

You have the right attitude towards this.

Life is about taking chances and there's always an element of risk.

You are weighing this situation carefully and seeking a lot of advice.Good on you.

Just my two pennys worth.

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I had a wild idea that someone would write back that, in the same situation, they'd have grabbed a bottle, popped the top, and tossed back a warm one. :D Well, job interviews are stressful and a beer can help calm one down and.... :eek:

7. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Beer cans in the office is simply unprofessional.

I used to be able to drink like a fish (I say "used", because I hardly drink these days, turned into a right goodie-two-shoes.Mind you, you can't beat a nice pint of beer after a long week :morebeer :offtopic )
    and even I say it's unprofessional Trip.

People in business should separate work from their drinking time.

Just my two shillings worth.