Been made redundant from IT job - advice needed?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by adam2001, Jun 24, 2008.

1. adam2001

adam2001 New Member

Thanks, hbroomhall.

Just got off the horn again. I now have five interviews lined up this week, starting tomorrow at 3:00pm.

My concerns were totally unfounded.

2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I'd hardly call a week a 'career break' to be honest. Its a short holiday. A time when you cool off from the old job, before moving onto the next. Plenty of people take a week off between jobs.

And a week between jobs is barely noticeable, unless you have a weeks break between every job, and each job lasts a week. I seriously doubt your employers will even mention the time between leaving the job, and starting a new one. Even if you feel the need to explain the break, which I wouldnt bother with, its easily explained by the fact you were made redundant, and didnt manage to find a job before your leaving date. In the competitive markets of today thats entirely possible. Interview processes can take weeks (sometimes months) to resolve fully.

Its easy to have no break in work when you are taking the time to find a job before handing in your notice. its not so easy when the company have given you the heave-ho with only the required notice and no forewarning.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. adam2001

adam2001 New Member

Great news - had two interviews today, both have offered me the positions.

I may accept the first, as the package is much more substantial and it is closed to home; however, the second is for a large International energy company, which may mean greater future prospects. Something to weigh up. Still got two more interviews, one tomorrow and another on Monday.

I've had to withdraw my CV as the calls are insane.

Just remember - there is a silver lining in every cloud!

4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Great news:) Adam and major congrats. Remember sleep over the offers and take your time to go for the best one taking every little details into account. Cheerio and best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. adam2001

adam2001 New Member

Thanks, Onoski.

One common theme I've noticed is that interviewers always ask for your age.

I know this isn't right, but I always tell them, because I'm only 22, so I know I'm in a good position. Unfortunately, this isn't good, because it shows that IT employers discriminate based on age. Sometimes, I can see why, but the older folk should be given a chance still.

6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Major congrats on the job offers!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

That's not a question as I use to tell them in the past when they ask me this question and still got an interview. I'm not naive for one moment as I know age discrimination exist in IT and all jobs for that matter.

It is a good thing as the law in the UK now prohibits employers from discriminating based on your age and thirdly if am asked I'd reply that I'd let the interviewer know if asked after an interview.

Just use tact really and play the game of job hunting smart.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Major congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Mordred

Mordred Bit Poster

Cant most employers deduce your age anyway from the date that you started school on your cv? Or at least get a ball park figure?

Im rather fortunate in that I certainly dont look my age- by about 8 years so Im constantly being told! So that could give me an advantage where the company thinks Im younger, but surely just by looking at my CV and the dates I was at school that would tell them my real age? Or should I not put the dates I was at school? :/

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yes, they can... and do.

Should you try to hide it? I wouldn't. :) With age comes experience.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!