Been made redundant? Doing an interim job to keep things ticking over?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by FDale, Feb 16, 2009.

1. FDale

FDale New Member

I am writing an article for the Guardian newspaper's Work section, which is published every Saturday.

The feature is about surviving the recession. It focuses on people who are currently doing jobs they never thought they would do, and tells their stories of transition.

Have you been made redundant? Or did you chose to leave a position because of the economic situation?

Have you gone from an office-based job to working in more hands-on manual role: i.e. deliveries, removals, driving, shop-work, catering, painting & decorating, factory work, repairs....?

Do you find your new job more or less stressful?
    What are the main differences between your old and new jobs?
    Do you have a better work-life balance?
    Do you now have a different approach to working life?
    Do you miss the office?

If you would like to share your experiences with others, please email me, Lydia, at freelancefdale at gmail dot com, and we can talk it through.

My deadline is this Friday, 20th February 2009.

Many thanks.

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Lydia, I removed the duplicate post from the New Members forum, since our R&Gs prohibit posting the identical content in more than one area of this discussion board. While the intent of your post may be as stated and totally benign, because our forum is frequently spammed, the staff will be monitoring this thread, just as a precaution. Nothing personal.

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Lydia,

I am surprised to see that you don't specifically ask about the impact of loss of/reduction in earnings.

Coincidentally, while the emphasis is on people who have left employment in the current climate, can I suggest that just as important is the effect felt by those still in the same job left to do the work? They may have seen colleagues being made redundant, and there may be embarrassment at this. In addition, there is the potential that the number of people have reduced but those left have to do their own work plus the work of those who have left.

Just a thought.

4. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Last time I checked non exclusive authors got emails from a sub directory of the guardian and others. Usually along the lines of [email protected], a friend of mine who is a columnist for a national magazine, her colleagues part time use freelance.ipcmedia.com . So sounds a bit fishy to me.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I was suspicious and reported it hence Trip's post I think.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)