bedroom guitarists advice

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by dales, Oct 20, 2011.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi all,

Used to play alot in bands and stuff around my area, but due to getting into IT and then having children my playing has stopped. fast forward 10 years or so and I really would like to get back into it again, I've still got all my gear from the good 'ol days and can just about remember which way round to hold it. :biggrin

Anyway do any of you guys use any recording software to write music/record covers of anything. I had a go with guitar tracks 2 a few years ago and cubase before that but what if anything would you guys recommend. I would like something like guitar tracks as it comes with amp modelling and a new configurable drum loops.

So what do you guitarists use for home recording.:rocks

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Well my son uses Audacity for some of his recordings at school and also Reason 5. Think Reason is a great package as it seems to have a lot in it, but the cost is high. I'd have to ask him what others in his band use at home see if its the same.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Thanks twizz, I had considered audacity but I'll definately put it on my list to play with. I'll check out reason too, last time I looked at that a few years ago it seemed it was mostly for dance music/sample type affairs but I'll take another look and see what it does now.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Take a look at Sony Acid Pro 7, its a good little program, probably a lot simpler than some of the other DAW's. I have found the MIDI editor to be very useful, for figuring out beat patterns on songs - so I can learn to play them (with my admittedly rudimentary skills!) For example I used it to figure out the beat/strum pattern on Wonderwall, by editing and playing back a MIDI. So I can now play it on the piano, and then when I get better on the guitar I will play it on the guitar. I can play digital piano through Acid Pro as a MIDI controller and access all the General MIDI sounds in the Audigy 2 ZS sound card, which includes drum sounds.

It is a good program, though I've noticed a few bugs/quirks with it.

The site Guitar Chords @ Chordbook.Com is EXCELLENT for trying out guitar chords, so you can figure out the right chords on a song, as the chords you find online are not always correct.

I've heard Guitar Pro 6 is pretty good but I've not had time to try it out yet.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA