Becoming an IT trainer

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by generic_eric, Oct 7, 2013.

1. generic_eric

generic_eric Bit Poster

Once again i have been thinking about what career in IT i would like to take after working in education and it seems that working as an IT trainer seems the natural route to go.

I have led IT lessons for children aged 11-16 and did have the eventual objective of becoming an ICT teacher. Due to the fact that the curriculum is changing and the fact i never got my full degree i have decided this career is not for me but my real passion/ talent is delivery of subject matter.

I was thinking about working on my MOS certs whilst completing a adult teaching C&G then looking for jobs after.

does anyone already work as a trainer who could give me some career advice?

Sam

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Wouldn't you have to be a subject matter expert to teach ?

I doubt you could make a living on MOS alone.

Any professional trainers about care to comment ?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Here are just a few things, from my experience (I'm not saying that they are correct, just how I "entered" the training field part-time):

1. Make contacts - I got to know one of the people in charge at the local college then a couple of years later he asked if I was willing to deliver MS courses, same thing with the FITS Foundation.
    2. Get qualified with your teaching/training qualification, then with the vendors own trainer qualification (eg MCT and the MCE, Train the Trainer cert, etc...)
    3. Never stop developing yourself - keep on top of technology or whatever field you want to teach in
    4. Join a professional association, eg the IFL
    5. Get your degree - if you want to start teaching at Uni level. I moved from delivering college courses to become a trainer for the FITS Foundation to becoming an associate lecturer with the OU.

That's a start :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. generic_eric

generic_eric Bit Poster

finishing my degree is not an option unfortunately. I do not have the funds to finish. I did try to finish with the OU but they insisted that i enrolled on courses which were more computer science and beyond my comprehension.

thanks for the words advice

5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Degree is not a requirement, however it's what I found useful. But if you are considering a degree with the OU, what about their Open Degree? Same amount of points 300 (unclassified) or 360 (hons) and a wide variety of subjects, not just computer science :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security