Becoming a DBA

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by boogalooslide, Jul 29, 2008.

1. boogalooslide

boogalooslide New Member

G'day

I recently completed the ECDL qualification and I really enjoyed the database part of it, and am now wondering how I could train to work as a DBA? What would be a good way to start? I have seen the microsoft database qualification, and I found a training course for it. It's quite expensive though at £2000. Is there any cheaper way to do this, or do I have to suck it up and pay the money?

Thanks for any/al advice. 8)

boogaloo

2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF:), in answer to your question the cheaper way of obtaining a cert is to get the books and study at work in your spare time or vice versa.

In the field of IT experience speaks volumes, so I'd advise you try and get as much as possible well in fact through self studying you'd gain some of that. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

You could get some database software like Oracle/SQL and some relevant books and learn on your own. Most people on here recommend self study as its cheap.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?