Become a driving instructor: earn £30k

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Sparky, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Funnily enough, i was reading an (independant) artcile the other day which stated that XX amount of people turn 17 everyday, although there are only X amount of driving instructors.

As for the Salary: think about when most people will want there lessons. After work, weekends, bank holidays... perhaps not so appealing now :D

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

My dad's recently become a driving instructor and I've got to say, it's all ups and downs. It's entirely dependant upon how you advertise and how many people you have to teach.

Sometimes the money comes rolling in, other weeks it's barely existant. Suffice it to say though that on average it's no where near £30k.

Personally, I don't think I could stick it - I'd prefer a flat 9-5 job.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I agree it depends on your knowledge of running a business , and entrepreneurism if you like.
    If you don't know how to position yourself in the market place or know your market your history

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  4. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

About 3 years ago, a friend of mine looked into becoming a driving instructor through BSM - what a huge con! - whilst they would train her up, we worked out, to get 30k, she'd need to be on the road at least 45 hours per week, every single week of the year - no holiday etc.

This was being booked through BSM, so all prices were already set and so the "bloke-down-the-road" charging £20 ph, were stealing the customers hand over fist because BSM wanted £27 ph!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293