Beat The Pirates At Your Own Game

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Fergal1982, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Saw this, and found I actually agree with the author. Thought you guys might like to have a read.

Full Article: Here

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

There there is the complete opposite model
    that being that piracy is an illusion brought about by games not being valued highly enough for people to want to pay, if its worth it, they will pay

Games are a big enough pain in the ass to play online without buying at the moment anyway

don't get me wrong I LIKE the steam model, buy online, download, re install whenever i format, no CD to lose / break etc great stuff, but give me a bloody discount on the retail copy ffs, im using my BW to download a game, i've chopped out your logistical and distribution costs, yet I'm paying full whack? Hmm seems something does not add up there

I don't mind a secure system, I mind when it causes me greif, requiring an internet connection to play a game, especially one with an SP aspect is proposterous, this is not quite the ubiqitously connected world we all want (well not all, but me! :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

What like PS3 do right now lol(sorry counld't resist) Warhawk on BD was £39.99 and i got mine off the PSN for £15, only problem that people had right enough was they tied the auth to the user account rather than the PS3 so if your son signed in with his ID he couldn't play the game

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  4. OceanPacific

OceanPacific Byte Poster

Im pretty much exclusively steam myself. I dont play games much but when I do its usually counterstrike or day of defeat:source.

I used to be a huge pirate when I was a kid, mainly as I didnt have any money, but now I just buy them off steam.

WIP: N+, A+
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

if games are worth it then people will pay. I don't like the way games these days have a very short single player mode and a more designed for people who want to play multiplayer.

You pay £40 quid or there abouts for a PC game and even more for console games those prices for a game with about 6-8 hours play is crap, I though it was bad when games had about 10-14 hours play in it.

Some of the recent games like Bioshock and Crysis though have appealed to me Bioshock was just a single player, it was quite challending and had a good lenght to it. Crysis did too and that had a multiplayer mode.

If games are well done then they are worth the money, if they don't they become a rip off.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

The problem with having to contact a server to verify a game is that it wouldnt stop piracy. You only have to look at MMOs such as WOW and EQ. There are people out there that have created private servers to run the games on. This would happen in this case too. Steam games have been cracked so that they don't contact any steam servers neede to run.
    All it takes is someone to get at the code and find out how to ignore / re address teh server commands so that the game can be run as a normal standalone PC Game.

While prices remain high piracy will always exist. To stop it you need to reduce the cost to the consumer and reduce the profits made by pirates. And even if a game is free it still doesnt stop piracy out right. There are free games out there available to download unofficially etc.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  7. OceanPacific

OceanPacific Byte Poster

How does your average "pirate" profit from piracy? Your average pirate who pirates video games anyway are doing it solely to play the game. They want to play the game and either (a) dont want to waste money on a game their unsure about, or (b) simply cant afford the game, or (c) honestly cannot find the game in stores. Ive been around piracy for years and %100 of the piracy ive been exposed to was simply kids aged 13-18 who cant afford to purchase new games at $60 a pop.

So I honestly dont see how they profit from it at all, other than getting a game for free.

WIP: N+, A+
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I buy games when I know their good. Usually the way I determine if a game is good for my taste is by downloading the demo and the reading the reviews of other people. Most of the time I enjoy the game and once in a while it sucks. However I don't play much video games nowadays.

I think that the whole server authentication for reduction of piracy is not really going to work, there's always someone who figures out a way around that. If anything, the companies need to reduce the price of their games so that at least there's more people who are willing to buy the game and even at that point piracy is not going go away.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA