beat the deadline?

Discussion in 'Network+' started by nn, Oct 7, 2010.

1. nn

nn Nibble Poster

hi, would like to try and get N+ certified before 31 Dec. my questions are.. realistically do you think this is possible? and if i failed how quickly after can you book a retake exam with prometric?

thanks

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
    Certifications: A+
  2. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

It all depends on how much you already know and how much time you can dedicate to study. I spent a month on N+ and I passed today but I already had my ccna and just wanted N+ to boost my cv. The Mike Meyers all in one book is easy to read and covers everything well, I read it cover to cover in about 2 weeks. You can resit the exam the next day its not until after your 3rd fail that you have to wait to go again. The resit policy is on the comptia website.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  3. nn

nn Nibble Poster

cheers for the reply bazza and well done for passing! i work in a support role mainly hw and have limited network experience however intend to study most days for next couple of months.. hear this exam is harder than a+ though

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Actually, you have to wait 14 days after your second fail, not your third: link

Bazza is correct in that you can resit an exam the next day if you have failed it for the first time. However, keep in mind that there's got to be an empty testing seat available. I predict that the testing centers are going to be quite full as the December 31 deadline approaches, so I wouldn't put it off till the last week or two. If you do, you may not find an empty appointment time to retake the exam.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. nn

nn Nibble Poster

so given the time left and no previous experience would you say this is realistically possible or a struggle?

6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

You *must* have some experience of networks? Or at least have a good idea of how they work? Im thinking here that you've done the A+ so you must of been around computers and be aware of network protocols to some extent?

Network+ is an introduction to the networking world. I have a friend who is hoping to take the exam before the deadline; he only has experience of networks from a user point of view and my advice to him was just to crack through the book and see how he feels. He's done that and now knows himself that he can do it before the deadline as he now knows what hes dealing with.

I think if you worked hard enough and really put the effort in its likely you would be ready for the exam before the deadline.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. BosonMichael

Everyone is different. Some people could absorb the material and take the exam in a week. Others will struggle so much that they never pass it despite a year's worth of study.

All that said, it is realistically possible that someone with no previous experience could knock this out before the deadline.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. nn

nn Nibble Poster

thanks guys.. i spose the real question is, am i willing to dedicate the next couple of months to full on studying or not.. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

9. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

all depends on how much time you can spend per day to learn
    I want to pass it half November (in case if I fail, I have time to prepare for re-take)
    book itself (All in One N+) is very good, but I help myself with Professor Messer http://www.professormesser.com/free-network-plus-training/professor-messers-free-comptia-network-certification-training-course, and I bought N+ Passport just to see the material in different way. What I also did is I typed on google "Network+ tables" and this is what I got: http://www.proprofs.com/mwiki/index.php/Network%2B_Tables_%26_Charts quite helpful if you struggle to remember text from books.
    In my opinion if you have no kids or heavy duties at home, If you don't party and can sit like 2 hrs per day to read the book and prepare, you can do it.

Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7
  10. Matt28LFC

Matt28LFC New Member

Im trying the same as you OP, i've bought the Mike Meyers All In One, picked it up about 3weeks ago, read half of it so far. Got to try and spend more time reading it to be honest.

Like you i've got virtually no networking experience (Don't even work in IT) Got a little bogged down in a couple chapters which in part is why its taken 3 weeks to get this far. I also struggle to sit down and read for 2hrs+ after an hour in need to do something else lol

Even so, i do like Mikes books, they are easy to read. I feel with a little more dedication on my behalf and i can get this done and since you work in IT i think you'd have a better chance than i, so think you should go for it mate :)

Certifications: CompTIA A+
    WIP: CompTIA Network+
  11. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Your not the only one! Studying for 2 hrs doesn't have to mean just sitting downa dn reading the book for that time, I break my study time down into manageable chunks (whats manageable depends on the person and the book obviously). Reading flat out for several hours is often counter productive anyway as you find yourself completely failing to absorb the necessary information.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  12. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Definitely Do-able if you put your mind to it, i have to complete the Network +, Security+ and a MSC module (through block learning) by the close of year! Starting to sweat a little now!

13. nn

nn Nibble Poster

cheers for the positive response all, i'm going to give it a try! book ordered so party about to get started :D
    don't agree with comptia's new renewal policy however its pushed me into studying rather than just thinking yer i will get round to that sometime..

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  14. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

You've got nothing to lose by trying.
    I wouldn't stress about the deadline, it's a pretty expensive cert so I'd make sure I was 99.9% confident I was going to pass before worrying about whether I get it for life or just rent it for 3 years. Hopefully in 3 years time you'll be looking to knock the N+ off your CV anyway, to make room for all the skills you've picked up since then.:biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  15. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

If you buy the Mike Meyers All in one it comes with a cd with a practice exam. Its pretty close to the real exam in style if anything its a bit harder. I think is a very good tool to see if your ready for the exam. I had network knowledge before i started did the exm before i started the book and got 70% after reading the book got 92%. Sorry i was not 100% correct with the resit policy.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  16. jay.bkl

jay.bkl New Member

Hi all,

I didn't know where to post my question, just a quick one tho. I am half way through my N+ 2009 and have booked my exam for mid Nov.

I already have the A+ 2007 (220-601/602) do I need to study and pass the new A+ (220-701 Essentials 220-702 Practical) if I am already A+ certified before the renewal? I wouldn't mind sitting the A+ bridge exam for the 700 series. Not sure what to do at the moment, thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Jay

17. BosonMichael

Isn't the point of passing the A+ exams before the Dec 31, 2010 deadline so you don't HAVE to renew your certifications? :blink

To answer your question directly, no, you don't have to pass the 701/702 exams. You will be A+ certified for life (or until CompTIA changes its policy). That said, if you want to update your A+ certification, you can do so.

18. jay.bkl

jay.bkl New Member

Sorry I just got abit mixed up, If after the N+ 2009 I have time and money I guess i could update my A+ or get a head start on the MCDST. Thanks for your help BosonMichael.

19. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

One thing to note that as the deadline for CompTIA exams gets nearer before the resit policy is that exam centres may get really busy so if you do need to resit keep that in mind especially if the exam provider doesn't have many spaces in the first place.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011